Emergency demolding issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SethSwitch

Reaction score
Hello All,
So today I decided to take of the side molding to try to achieve a cleaner look. So I used heat and floss then gently used a 3m eraser wheel to remove the adhesive. After a while I noticediPhone Image A5D5DA.jpg iPhone Image A5D5E5.jpg where the adhesive was were scratches running vertically through the paint. I was surprised as i used the eraser wheel horizontally. I am wondering how to repair the scratches as well as fix the difference in color between the door and the previously covered paint. Thanks in advance for all of the suggestions. If worst comes to worst I will get either the escalade ltz or denali molding to cover it up but would like to keep it clean if possible. Thanks again.

MichaelSE

2010 2500
Reaction score
It's tough to tell whether they are scratches or just really resilient adhesive. Since you already have a buffer for the eraser wheel, what I'd do is get a foam backing pad and try some Meguiars M105 compound. The M105 is aggressive but I think it will take off whatever that is. It will have to be followed with a less aggressive polish like M205 then a wax to protect the clearcoat.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess is residue, hit it again with the eraser.

Then compound and polish.

Last edited:

Eman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was thinking of demolding my ride today aswell. Now I see this and it changes my mind. Dose anyone think I should demold ?

image.jpeg

MichaelSE

2010 2500
Reaction score
I think your Yukon would look clean as hell with or without the molding. I personally like the red/chrome combo though so I'd leave them on.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the ltz and denali moldings...when you want to change it up, grab some painted door handles !

NeverSatisfied

eBay Baller
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Compound/polish/seal and should be good. Just looks like a dull spot from the tape. My 08 looked liked that when I demolded it until I put some work into

This was the before and after on the day I did it
image.jpeg

Eman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think your Yukon would look clean as hell with or without the molding. I personally like the red/chrome combo though so I'd leave them on.

Well thanks. I have thought about switching my Yukon up with black rims and all terrain tires. But I think it looks so so so clean the way it is now.

NeverSatisfied

eBay Baller
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of demolding my ride today aswell. Now I see this and it changes my mind. Dose anyone think I should demold ?

View attachment 64500
I think you bring down the rear to take away some rake and throw on some escalade running boards and it would be perfect. It's a super clean ride already and that color is beautiful

Eman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think you bring down the rear to take away some rake and throw on some escalade running boards and it would be perfect. It's a super clean ride already and that color is beautiful

How much would it cost to bring down the back end ? And would it affect the smoothness of my ride ? And also the run in bords I got now don't look that good ? Escalade have a spefic kind your referring to ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spargewort

Latest posts