Electric Suburban / Electric Tahoe / Yukon / Escalade EV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I use here in AZ to jump on the HOV lane, pay almost no registration:
Ford focus EV, bought cheap depreciated with warranty for my single rider commute (75 miles)
2015 Suburban for our family for daily errands and family trips.
best of both worlds.
EVs are highly situational.
it all depends on needs/budgets/regulations/taste/etc...

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I sit here and read about all the electric vehicles on the market and the ones coming, I just have to ask myself how long are they going to be on the road. If you look around now you see 20 year old cars still there. Heck some of my friends have Yukon’s dating back to early 2000 and they run like a top with little cost. Take a car like Tesla ( because it’s really all we have to go on now) the battery is only warranted for 8 years approx 100k mikes. Does anyone think those cars will be on the road in 20years? Batteries are expensive along with all the other stuff. The average joe can’t work on those cars. Many times people fix their own cars in their driveway. I am just skeptical on the long term viability. Are we creating another environmental nightmare??? Will they always recycle the batteries in the cars?? Just many questions to be had.

Electric cars are just the hype now, so legacy automakers are playing catch up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Post all 3 of those supposed direct quotes and I’ll stop posting. If not you’re admitting to attributing things to me that I didn’t say...which of course is against forum rules. Tsk tsk.

I’ll wait.

*crickets*

And remember, post 3 of this thread was derailed by someone triggered by EV’s...and it wasn’t me.

You must be exhausted from all these swings and misses LOL

Anyway...

For those interested in cars and not boomers crying about how science hurts their feelings...here’s an interesting article. GM is going to sell the bolt and it’s only going to cost $26k. Less than any other EV on the market.

Game changer.

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/02/08/the-2020-chevy-bolt-gm-changes-the-game-again/amp/

Volt with a "B?" Wins the lame name game, I'll give it that.

vettes980

Reaction score
As I sit here and read about all the electric vehicles on the market and the ones coming, I just have to ask myself how long are they going to be on the road. If you look around now you see 20 year old cars still there. Heck some of my friends have Yukon’s dating back to early 2000 and they run like a top with little cost. Take a car like Tesla ( because it’s really all we have to go on now) the battery is only warranted for 8 years approx 100k mikes. Does anyone think those cars will be on the road in 20years? Batteries are expensive along with all the other stuff. The average joe can’t work on those cars. Many times people fix their own cars in their driveway. I am just skeptical on the long term viability. Are we creating another environmental nightmare??? Will they always recycle the batteries in the cars?? Just many questions to be had.

Electric cars are just the hype now, so legacy automakers are playing catch up

There’s some evidence that if built properly, battery systems from cars in 2010 ( Model S/Volt) are retaining the majority of their capacity. The Leafs are not Bc their batteries aren’t thermally managed like the others. In another 10 years, batteries will likely be still getting cheaper so would a replacement pack be any more than a transmission or engine at that point? I’d guess not. Remember that EVs have almost no maintenance to speak of, rotate tires. With regenerative braking it’s conceivable that brakes get 200k+ life. Using a six speed Yukon w AFM. By 200k miles you could spend $3500 on a lifter job and 4k on a transmission, so how is that cheaper than replacing a battery?

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone think those cars will be on the road in 20years? Batteries are expensive along with all the

Yep. Lifespan of an average EV battery is 200,000 miles. Pop in a new one after 17 years and you’re back in business.

Brushless motors last even longer.

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to also point out that EV longetivity depend highly on OEM support and if the particular E.V was only a compliance car or actually a company wide effort.
I have own only compliance EVs like the fiat 500e and the Ford focus EV, and I can tell you there is zero support from the OEM past the warranty or the date they are done being forced selling them.
I would never keep my Focus EV once its out of warranty.

Electrification in general in the Auto industry is what we are moving forward to, taking various shape as little as just Electric assistance like in a ram1500 e torque, Hybrids, plug in hybrids, etc...
We will one get to a point where EV will be cheaper to build than a counterpart ICE car, but there is a long way to get there.

in the meantime, there are so much to consider, such as the grid system not ready for mass adoption of EVs, charging network. charging etiquette in busy area

etc....

A very interesting topic which I believe every gear head should be interested in as ultimately it will impact our driving habits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt