Electric Fans Vs Clutch Fans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Romey10

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What did you do to it?
I put on 2005 Silverado Dorman dual fans, Napa 200 amp alt, 2 gauge from alt to battery and 2gauge ground from alt to neg battery, Nelson Performance wiring harness and everything runs through computer I used HPtuners to set it up. This is on a 2003 Tahoe

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It roars when it's fully engaged. You should hear them on other trucks. Mine only ever does it at cold, and on a hot day if I leave it running with AC on while I go into a store if the dogs are with me. As soon as you hit the gas it's gone in a second or two. In traffic it's barely noticeable unless it's stupid hot out and even then it's only for a second.

You might want to make sure there's no trash / crap between the condenser and the radiator. I kind of remember someone having this issue and they found a bunch of trash in there stuck on the rad stopping airflow.

bfourman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2500s have clutch fans because they're better for towing which is why the 3/4 and 1 ton pickups still use them. The 2500 Yukon/suburban is also designed for towing so the electric fans would be inadequate. They're more efficient but they don't move near as much air as a clutch fan.

The 1/2 ton pickup and suvs generally aren't used for heavy towing so they went to electric to help with efficiency

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
This. I converted my 00 2500 Yukon to efans to keep the aircon cold for the family during the summer. Towing heavy in the mountains they couldn't keep up vs my buddy in a 02 2500 Yukon 8.1 with clutch fan who had no issues.

I'm keeping the clutch fan in my 09 2500 Suburban.

For you I would start with hosing out the radiator and condenser fins; dust and bugs will certainly impede cooling at idle.

Romey10

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As far as noise goes I kept hearing there really loud but reality is when there on low which is most of the time I don’t even no there on I actually would have to get out of truck and check under hood when I was first tuning them and when there on high you can hear them when your standing outside of truck but inside with a/c on above the 3 position or with radio on you definitely don’t hear them.
Now that I’m all done with them I wish I would’ve done this years ago. Also they are now way louder than a clutch fan on a very hot day, mine used to sound like a damn crop duster taking off!!

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I put on 2005 Silverado Dorman dual fans, Napa 200 amp alt, 2 gauge from alt to battery and 2gauge ground from alt to neg battery, Nelson Performance wiring harness and everything runs through computer I used HPtuners to set it up. This is on a 2003 Tahoe
How's the Nelson harness holding up? It melted on a few guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sahidblack