Electric Fans Vs Clutch Fans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
The radiator , and fan clutch are both new

The temp got up to like 235

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You mentioned the radiator being new.... how new are we talking?

Is it possible when the radiator was installed that all of the air didn't get bled out of the system?

An air pocket will cause cavitation and poor cooling/overheating.

OP
OP
Nap73

Nap73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You mentioned the radiator being new.... how new are we talking?

Is it possible when the radiator was installed that all of the air didn't get bled out of the system?

An air pocket will cause cavitation and poor cooling/overheating.
Radiator and fan clutch are less than a year old.

LDMoore

Reaction score
I know

Meanwhile my wife’s 2012 Tahoe has electric fans. You’d think that the 2500 would definitely have them.

That's what I always thought.
The 2500s have clutch fans because they're better for towing which is why the 3/4 and 1 ton pickups still use them. The 2500 Yukon/suburban is also designed for towing so the electric fans would be inadequate. They're more efficient but they don't move near as much air as a clutch fan.

The 1/2 ton pickup and suvs generally aren't used for heavy towing so they went to electric to help with efficiency

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a Hayden Severe Duty on my OBS and it works great, for heavy duty tow package with AC. The AC stays cold in traffic/at idle. It's almost too good for regular weather. They make one for your Yukon. But not sure that's your issue.

BigDogYJ

Reaction score
I’d be checking for air as mentioned before. But might check water pump as well. I’ve had a brand new water pump that when it got warm, it the plastic impeller would soften and start slipping on the metal shaft and of course the engine would overheat unless you were moving at 50+ Mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
Nap73

Nap73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a Hayden Severe Duty on my OBS and it works great, for heavy duty tow package with AC. The AC stays cold in traffic/at idle. It's almost too good for regular weather. They make one for your Yukon. But not sure that's your issue.
So the Hayden Severe Duty fan clutch works better than the original in traffic & idle ? My issue was at idle.

Romey10

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What’s up guys

Was sitting today with in the truck and it got so hot that a warning message popped up about the engine being to warm & the AC was shutting down. In defense of the truck it was extremely hot today.

Now this has never happened to me before. My question is would electric fans cool better in stop and go traffic and or idling ? I’ve heard they are more efficient. And if so what would it take to put electric fans in Goldie (My 2007 GMC Yukon XL 2500)

Anyone have any input on this ?

I just finished doing mine and Man my a/c stays so cold at long lights or extended idling periods now. I absolutely love it.

OP
OP
Nap73

Nap73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just finished doing mine and Man my a/c stays so cold at long lights or extended idling periods now. I absolutely love it.
Electric fans or the severe duty fan clutch ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
APalmer15

Latest posts