E-Fan Wire, Solder or Connectors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Electric fans are relatively high amperage devices so their wiring needs to be on point. Solder is best, but only if done correctly. An incorrect solder job can be worse than a crimp. YouTube it, practice on junk wire, etc. Learn how to use flux. If the solder doesn't get "absorbed" into the strands and just sits on top, the electrical connection is very weak regardless of how strong the mechanical connection is. A poor electrical connection + high amps = heat.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also for soldering wire, use a good sized powerful iron/gun instead of the pencil tip deal and have a blob of melted solder on the tip of the iron. That powerful iron and the liquid solder will transmit the heat real quick into the wires and with the flux you'll get the solder soaked through the connection. Keep everything clean and shiny. Don't forget to put the shrink tubing on the wire before connecting. Now that's aggravating.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like that half and half wire twist used to be called a Western Union splice? Really strong mechanical connection for overhead wires - and when soldered, can't be beat.

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Skip out on the wego's you've ordered. I don't recommend them in any application, but particularly terrible in automotive applications because of the vibrations.

Solder and heat shrink (when using good heat shrink that seals itself - you'll see a little "goo" come out of the ends) is optimal. For the cost/benefit, I usually end up going with heat shrink crimp connectors. I've never had one fail as long as it was crimped and heated well. Much quicker.

If you do the solder/heat shrink method, using flux makes a massive difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleeeper