E-Fan Wire, Solder or Connectors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dantheman-2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to install e-fans. The OEM wiring harness came out of my 05 Yukon. I cut it out cause I was in a hurry so I need to add some lengths of wire. The splices I’ve tied together and soldered instead of using splice connectors. Anyone see concern or issues with this method?
Thanks,
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_4885.jpeg
    IMG_4885.jpeg
    297.5 KB · Views: 9

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's always my choice when possible. Some concern about the stiffening of the wire at the connections but unless it's really small wire size I don't see any problem, and a soldered connection won't corrode or come loose.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't take this personal, but your soldering needs some help. I wouldn't leave it like that. You can't get a shrink tube over it, and that looks horrible.

It looks like you tried the, "spread the strands, and intermingle" method. I would heat that back up and separate it and try again, or cut it off.

Tried to find a pic of what I think is the best way. If you cut lets say an inch off the end on both, then you overlap by a little more than half, make an X, and then twist together tight like the top. Then you can heat and add solder over top. (So even though you cut 1/2 off, and you don't completely overlap, it only ends up being about 3/4" exposed).

1697408333889.png

I've found unless I'm doing stuff on boards, I rarely even like soldering anymore, and only stuff that's between 12 and 16awg. Anything outside of that, I think a PROPER crimper does a better job. It's quicker, cleaner, and just as secure.

For smaller stuff, and hard to reach areas, if I really want a soldered connection, I use these self-solder shrink tubes:

OP
OP
Dantheman-2003

Dantheman-2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't take this personal, but your soldering needs some help. I wouldn't leave it like that. You can't get a shrink tube over it, and that looks horrible.

It looks like you tried the, "spread the strands, and intermingle" method. I would heat that back up and separate it and try again, or cut it off.

Tried to find a pic of what I think is the best way. If you cut lets say an inch off the end on both, then you overlap by a little more than half, make an X, and then twist together tight like the top. Then you can heat and add solder over top. (So even though you cut 1/2 off, and you don't completely overlap, it only ends up being about 3/4" exposed).

View attachment 411546

I've found unless I'm doing stuff on boards, I rarely even like soldering anymore, and only stuff that's between 12 and 16awg. Anything outside of that, I think a PROPER crimper does a better job. It's quicker, cleaner, and just as secure.

For smaller stuff, and hard to reach areas, if I really want a soldered connection, I use these self-solder shrink tubes:
@adriver. Exactly the feedback I was looking for. Pretty terrible work. Big nasty booger welds. I ordered some Wego connectors and am going to redo all this. I want it to be clean. The PCM wires I soldered are X wrapped and cleanly tinned and shrink wrapped. So I will likely leave those alone.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yea, that pic example was not there when first posted the thread. That is ugly. What @adriver showed and said is the correct way. Then the heat shrink will not look like raggedy pregnant lump.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Gotta have a good mechanical connection first. If not using butt connectors I prefer the half overlap method here (link starts video at 6:19) that @adriver recommended:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman