Dual Battery Install (Mostly Complete)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OptCodeVoid

Reaction score
Today I bring to my mostly finished dual battery install... What we have here are two H6-AGM batteries wired with 4AWG wire powered by the stock 160A alternator and isolated with a diode based battery isolator.

A few things to note:
  • I still need some wire loom (not crucial but most will say it is)
  • Need an upgraded isolator because the one installed is only rated at 140A
  • Fuses (I have confidence in my wiring and the power I will be putting through them but they will bring peace of mind... not to mention they should be a requirement, safety third :))
As always questions and comments are encouraged... Now on to the pictures...
20180213_105409.jpg
Staring battery and isolator
(Neg from other battery was a little short and this also keeps it away from the Pos terminals)

20180213_105417.jpg
Another angle of the starting battery and isolator
(note I removed the "amp clamp" for constant charging current, probably necessary for dual battery anyway but I mostly just didn't want to deal with it to begin with)

20180213_105426.jpg
Picture of the rerouted alternator wire as well as the wiring going to the fuse box and secondary battery, following the stock wiring

20180213_105429.jpg
Close up of the rerouted alternator wire

20180215_144657.jpg
Picture of the second battery with Pos and Neg going to the accessories around the truck as well as a quick disconnect mounted on the front bumper

Last edited:
OP
OP
OptCodeVoid

OptCodeVoid

Reaction score
20180215_144702.jpg
Neg terminal just barely clearing the side of the truck... glad its the Neg

20180213_105421.jpg
Quick disconnect mounted on the front of the truck for jumping people or whatever you could think of

20180215_144727.jpg
View of the wire running to the disconnect
(still needs to be secured as well as cleaning up the mess of wires the cops left me when I bought the truck)

20180213_105514.jpg
Close up of the starting battery Pos terminal (note the wire in the backgound twards the bottom goes to the starter)

20180213_105538.jpg
Close up of the isolator

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool. Two questions for you Why, no, make that three! Why did you do it? Why did you not replicate the OEM setup? Are you Vietnamese?

OP
OP
OptCodeVoid

OptCodeVoid

Reaction score
Cool. Two questions for you Why, no, make that three! Why did you do it? Why did you not replicate the OEM setup? Are you Vietnamese?

Why did I do it?
I am currently running 3 sets of light bars, 2 radios (CB & GMRS) and have plans to add an air pump and an inverter down the road maybe other stuff as well (camping and off roading stuff)

Why didn't I go stock?
Main reason is the stock setup is a parallel install to get more power for stuff while the truck is running. This setup keeps both batteries separate so I can use one for all the accessories while the truck is off (i.e. while I'm camping) and not kill the starting battery

I am not Vietnamese... why is that even a question? For any reason...

OP
OP
OptCodeVoid

OptCodeVoid

Reaction score
Looking good.... out of curiosity... why so many cables on each battery?

Most of the connections are stock (main battery has 3 on the Pos; alternator, starter, main fuse box. Neg has the two stock connections plus one from the second battery).
On the second battery the connections are Pos and Neg to the accessories, another to the disconnect in the front and the last two are one Pos from the alternator and one Neg to the other battery.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not Vietnamese... why is that even a question? For any reason...

Cause you listed your name as Why, that's why.

Like Pete said, the factory had a method with the same isolated battery just done different. Some of the fellas on here have added a second battery too, pretty cool and nicely done.

OP
OP
OptCodeVoid

OptCodeVoid

Reaction score
Cause you listed your name as Why, that's why.

HAHA I forgot about that... yeah I don't give out my name on the internet if its avoidable and I used Why because I'm not really sure why this site (or anyone for that matter) would care what my real name was... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thank you for the compliment btw... I didn't know they had another way to wire it stock, I've never see it, do you have a link or search criteria or something?

Stock setup came 2 ways....
Links?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879