Drop my Cadillac how much?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi.

Have a 64 Series 62 4 dr/4 window and want to drop it in the front but I am not sure how low I should go? The car are stock otherwise but I think it's look to much grandma and grandpas go to town car.
I was looking around 2" to 3" lower springs but what do you guys say? Bags are out of the question, I am not in to it at all. As more analog we can go as better.
View attachment 272992 View attachment 272993 View attachment 272994 View attachment 272995

I beg you NOT to lower it!! Looks perfect!

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi.

Have a 64 Series 62 4 dr/4 window and want to drop it in the front but I am not sure how low I should go? The car are stock otherwise but I think it's look to much grandma and grandpas go to town car.
I was looking around 2" to 3" lower springs but what do you guys say? Bags are out of the question, I am not in to it at all. As more analog we can go as better.
View attachment 272992 View attachment 272993 View attachment 272994 View attachment 272995

That's bad as shit, nice toy.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
She's a beauty! Looks well thought out.
If it were mine, I'd stiffen the spring rate 20% and add disk brakes and sway bars. Just a little less boat feel.

OP
OP
M123

M123

Viking
Reaction score
Take a pic of your rear suspension if you can. I assumed it was a simple 4-link design like my 67 but looks like it maybe a 2-link with a wish bone(ish) design. Still doable for any heights but may take more than just springs.

It's a regular suspension with lower control arms and a big ball joint in the upper differential housing. This models are notorious for vibration so I don't want to mess with the rear. It wasn't many degrees before you need shim the transmission on this. I can later take a picture from the original Shop manual so can you see the construction. ☺

I beg you NOT to lower it!! Looks perfect!

Thanks. ☺

That's bad as shit, nice toy.

Thanks. ☺

She's a beauty! Looks well thought out.
If it were mine, I'd stiffen the spring rate 20% and add disk brakes and sway bars. Just a little less boat feel.

I am actually quite happy with the handling as it is. Did have a Caprice Classic from 91 way back and that car was a boat. This car more float peacefully and take corners super. Can't complain on the breaks either, cold they are way way way better than any disc's I have drove. Think the 64 have 12" around. ☺

I would not lower it but I would update the wheels to maybe some billet wheels.
I agree the wheels works but not more than that. I still want a wall on the tyres so not bigger just something mind blowing. ☺

Did a mistake and did order 4 amber sealed beams (5-3/4", did see in my head some beautiful retro touch but think those will look like 4 gigantic turn signals.

2021-03-13 17.37.27.jpg

Thanks everyone for your inputs. ☺☺☺ I really appreciate it. ☺

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a regular suspension with lower control arms and a big ball joint in the upper differential housing. This models are notorious for vibration so I don't want to mess with the rear. It wasn't many degrees before you need shim the transmission on this. I can later take a picture from the original Shop manual so can you see the construction. ☺

Thanks. ☺

Thanks. ☺

I am actually quite happy with the handling as it is. Did have a Caprice Classic from 91 way back and that car was a boat. This car more float peacefully and take corners super. Can't complain on the breaks either, cold they are way way way better than any disc's I have drove. Think the 64 have 12" around. ☺

I agree the wheels works but not more than that. I still want a wall on the tyres so not bigger just something mind blowing. ☺

Did a mistake and did order 4 amber sealed beams (5-3/4", did see in my head some beautiful retro touch but think those will look like 4 gigantic turn signals.

View attachment 273276

Thanks everyone for your inputs. ☺☺☺ I really appreciate it. ☺

Headlights are supposed to be white. I remember using those bulbs for fog lamps. Why not put the half moon glare shields on your headlights. They give a sleepy cool look and actually improve visibility in rain and fog. When I drove a truck, I used to make "poor man" fog lamps with duct tape.Several layers over the top third to flatten the beam and reduce glare.

EZ Money

Reaction score
Gosh, I know you said you don’t want to mess with the rear, it if you lower only the front, it will look like it has a nose dive...like an angry cat!
Talk to a couple shops who work with older cars. I would recommend 1”-2” in the front and 3” in the rear.

torch

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you have original springs then you already have a 1-2 inch drop (sag) from factory due to almost 60 years of gravity.
I would keep the same height, it works well with the length of the car (the front and back are probably in different zip codes!).
If you replace the springs I would go with sightly shorter and stiffer than stock as said above.