Driver window won't go down.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

santiam

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Some people have taken those switches apart and cleaned all the contacts with alocohol and q tip, sometimes that works.

It could be a bad switch.

It could be a broken ground wire between door and fuse box.

It could be the relay in the left end of the console. Open the driver door and pull the triangle fuse cover off the left end of console. The names of the fuses r on back of cover and there is a fuse puller there also. You can switch the power seat relay with the window relay to test the window relay.

You can check the motor by putting power to it by pulling plug at motor and put power on one terminal and ground on the other. Switch the terminals to change direction of motor.

If the motor works then it must be switch, fuse(relay) or wires.
Up on my 2000 Tahoe is working on front drivers side switch but not down, motor is good. Bought a used master switch on eBay for 52 including shipping. All other windows working with master switch.

Also be careful when installing regulator if it goes too high the window brackets will travel off the steel and the regulator will not work up or down.

Stops on regulator are plastic and easy to bend and jam regulator. Be careful I jammed my old regulator and my new one. I had to put manual from battery power on motor to loosen it up to push window holders back on regulator tracks.

After I did that both regulators would go up and down with battery.

But now when installed only go up with switch. No down with switch. If you keep pushing switch up and down you will jam it again.

When I get new switch on Friday I will try that. If new switch doesn’t work it is probably the ground wire between switch and fuse box. Mine is heavily wrapped.
I think the wiring plugs into the fuse box with a plug but I am not sure about that. If it does plug in you could check the wires after pulling whole thing out. There might be 2, plugsxinto fuse box not sure.

I put meter on my motor plug with engine running and I have 14 volts at both sides of motor when I push switch button down 14 volts on one one side of plug and when push switch down on upper end I have 14 volts on other side of plug. That is with ground on screw near fuse box. That is bypassing switch ground.

That looks like bad ground wire or bad switch to me. We will see.

If anyone else had input please post

Blaxtrux

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just had this problem with the rear passenger window would not go up or down.
What I did to fix was there is a large red wire with a white stripe going to the switch that had no power to it and should have.
I spliced one in from the front to the rear door and now the window works.
I must of had a break along the floor somewhere.

Warriorpluto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder did the op fix the problem? I now have this problem. I used tech 2 to test and the motor does nothing. Have a dtc for window motor failure.