Dorman products

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ItstheHOFF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had much experience with Dorman brand OEM parts? Just curious if their quality. They seem to be a fraction the price of certified gm parts so this family man is trying to save some money! Does the community use them often? Or do y’all swear against them?

the_tool_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used them a few times, and not had any issues. Here's an example.

I used to drive an '02 Expedition with the 5.4L V8. The OEM plastic intake manifold cracked at 150k miles. I replaced it with Dorman, which I found to be a better-made part than OEM. It was more heavily built, especially around the thermostat housing. All the factory brackets and clips fit perfectly. The only thing it didn't come with was the factory sound deadening foam on the underside. But I couldn't tell any difference in sound (and wouldn't have cared if there was a difference). Put 60k miles on it without issue before I sold the truck. Cost about half of OEM, if I recall correctly.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Has anyone had much experience with Dorman brand OEM parts? Just curious if their quality. They seem to be a fraction the price of certified gm parts so this family man is trying to save some money! Does the community use them often? Or do y’all swear against them?

We see them all the time. Quality seems to depend on which parts you're talking about. Fuel line clips? Do it. ISS bearing? Steer clear. And so forth....

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have around $65k in "dorman" products listed on ebay, quite honestly most of it is a good product, there is a few things I would stray away from in there product line, like the plastic heater hose connectors, yet one of there heater hose connectors is made of aluminum rather than plastic so it is better than oem. It really can depend on the particular part sometimes.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about their driveshafts? I'm still shopping for a replacement for my Tahoe and not sure what brand to go with. I just need it to be able to handle a little over 500 horsepower with my future plans for it.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had much more good luck than bad luck with Dorman. Definitely one of the brands at the top of my list.

calif phil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had not so great luck with several Dorman products. I prefer OEM unless it was a low budget car that I was selling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it’s hard to replace or a part that involves safety like brakes or steering, I stay away. A good example is knock sensors; they take hours to replace and the Dorman ones are known to fail so you’re soon back pulling the top of your engine apart. Other Dorman parts are great, like the 2-piece rear brake dust shields. The OEM ones are 1-piece and require pulling the damn axles to replace. Dorman makes 2-piece ones that take a few minutes to replace. Probably less quality, but they save time once the originals rust out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout

Latest posts