DOD FAILED. CAM THOUGHTS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

decembersend

Reaction score
2010 GMC Yukon Denali 6.2 all stock

So like the title says the DOD failed. It lasted 165k so I say I got good mileage out of it.

I'm looking to keep the VVT delete the DOD keep low and torque (towing and heavy pig) and preferably gain HP up high. Everything is STOCK I will purchase HP tuners to delete the DOD (planned to buy it anyways for my Trailblazer LS swap 4.2L to 6.0). I would like to keep the stall stock for now because I do plan to turbo this thing at a later date and don't want to buy things twice. My hand is forced now to do this mod because this is my daily.

I been researching for the past couple of days on what brand to go with and everyone has varying opinions but a lot seem to like COMP CAMS. I gave them a call today to see what they would recommend and this is what they told me.

CAM
XFI RPM HI-LIFT 214/228 Hydraulic Roller Cam for GM LS GEN IV w/ VVT part #189-401-13

DOD Delete
5561-KIT

I have a couple of questions for those that have done this mod.

1. What CAM do guys recommend?

2. Do you think this is a good cam for my application?

3. Any one have experience with COMP CAMS DOD delete kit? A lot of thread I read people seem to like the kit from Texas Speed.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So like the title says the DOD failed. It lasted 165k so I say I got good mileage out of it.

I'm looking to keep the VVT delete the DOD keep low and torque (towing and heavy pig) and preferably gain HP up high. Everything is STOCK I will purchase HP tuners to delete the DOD (planned to buy it anyways for my Trailblazer LS swap 4.2L to 6.0). I would like to keep the stall stock for now because I do plan to turbo this thing at a later date and don't want to buy things twice. My hand is forced now to do this mod because this is my daily.

I been researching for the past couple of days on what brand to go with and everyone has varying opinions but a lot seem to like COMP CAMS. I gave them a call today to see what they would recommend and this is what they told me.

CAM
XFI RPM HI-LIFT 214/228 Hydraulic Roller Cam for GM LS GEN IV w/ VVT part #189-401-13

DOD Delete
5561-KIT

3. Any one have experience with COMP CAMS DOD delete kit? A lot of thread I read people seem to like the kit from Texas Speed.
You cannot increase torque down low or even keep it and gain horsepower on high without losing driveability. Keep duration under 210 degrees for a street truck and to maintain low end torque.

I am assuming this is a 5.3 and not a 6.2.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

CAM

DOD Delete
5561-KIT

Unless there's some trickery involved with the VVT, I don't see how a 214/228 cam would be good in a 5.3 with a stock converter and not cost you towing power. They call it "high lift", but I'd hardly consider .559"/.571" to be "high lift". Like I said, maybe it's all in the magic of VVT.

I'm no expert by far, especially compared to COMP. Just get plenty of second opinions on that cam and others as they've been known to make rather aggressive suggestions. It might actually be a great choice and the VVT allows that much duration with little or no low-end loss.

OP
OP
D

decembersend

Reaction score
Unless there's some trickery involved with the VVT, I don't see how a 214/228 cam would be good in a 5.3 with a stock converter and not cost you towing power. They call it "high lift", but I'd hardly consider .559"/.571" to be "high lift". Like I said, maybe it's all in the magic of VVT.

I'm no expert by far, especially compared to COMP. Just get plenty of second opinions on that cam and others as they've been known to make rather aggressive suggestions. It might actually be a great choice and the VVT allows that much duration with little or no low-end loss.

Sorry I guess I have to update my bio.

It’s a 2010 GMC Yukon Denali 6.2

OP
OP
D

decembersend

Reaction score
Owning the same product line (GMT360) myself. On the forum for that truck, we had all came to the conclusion it was simpler to buy a wrecked/vandalized V8, and swap over a body!
I thought I recognized your user name. I use to be on TV and now GMT but I haven’t posted in forever.

Yea it def would’ve been easier but sadly I could never find one when I had the funds so little by little I’ve been working on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz