Do I keep it or sell it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will say that all 3 of the half-ton trucks (all GM) I've owned became money pits around 125k-175k. Seems like that's about the lifespan of a lot of components.

My best friend's son is looking for a Suburban with a $10k budget. I'm trying to talk him out of it because everything he's looking at has 150k or so.

My one current half-ton, my 09 Sierra Denali, has needed about $4k in repairs the last two years - ball joints, brakes, hubs/bearings, axle half shaft, front diff. And I don't think I'm done. I've spent more on repairs on the Denali than my other 4 vehicles combined, including 3 Wranglers.

Contrast that with my 2500 Suburban - 7 years of ownership, 100k miles added, beaten hard, lots of heavy towing at max GCWR, odo at 207k, total repairs over that time? $300.

OP
OP
Baggerjim

Baggerjim

Reaction score
I am in almost your exact spot ('07 Yukon, a tad less miles (mine was almost 100% tow vehicle with a pretty heavy trailer for the first 50-60K miles). One difference is my truck's cosmetics are still real good.

I too have reached the spot in my life where I don't want to do big things on my truck. For whatever reason, my local dealer is really inexpensive to use for maintenance and I have a five star independent shop just down the road who I can use as well with complete confidence on the biggest of stuff.

One of my problems is the more I look at options, the more I like my Yukon. I will say that new AT4 Yukon is very tempting (mainly the air lift suspension and eLSD), but when I look at the $5K a year in depreciation, along with almost every other operating cost metric going up (gas maybe a tad better, but only slightly), I realize I have exactly what I need. If something big comes along (say a remanufactured engine), I know that will be less than one year's depreciation on a new rig and as fast as the years go by now, I know I am really ahead staying put.

I love the Yukon, so will keep mine through thick and thin.

The Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My one current half-ton, my 09 Sierra Denali, has needed about $4k in repairs the last two years - ball joints, brakes, hubs/bearings, axle half shaft, front diff. And I don't think I'm done.

How many miles? With the exception of the diff, this is all to be expected in the 80-100k mileage range. If you haven't replaced your shocks, expect to do that too. I just did all of this on mine at about 90k miles. From my experience, it's standard maintenance on a half-ton truck.

OP - you don't want to trade for a Traverse. Wrong idea. If you want to go smaller, look at a Colorado or even a Jeep. The Traverse is not a truck, and will be a disappointment to anyone used to a truck. I went through this decision back in 2019 because my Tahoe was approaching 100k and needed the usual suspension refresh. But I couldn't find anything I liked significantly better than what I have. So I took care of the suspension and installed some updates to try to bring some of the modern features to my not-so-modern truck.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Another thing to consider is this. You said you can't do some of the work any more. At 68 I am in the same boat. I have the knowledge and experience, after 35+ years in the automotive repair business. I just don't want to crawl around on the ground anymore for a major job. I am getting ready for a rear main seal and oil pan gasket and trans mount job. I made an agreement with a known top notch locally owned shop that has quality all over it. I promised to supply them with top of the line parts and pay the labor as they see fit and pay cash. Other easier things I do myself. I also buy their fluids. I also allow them full discretion if they find something during their work process. Saves me money on parts and I never ever rush them. I tell them they have it as long as they need it. The recommendation, made earlier in this thread, about keeping the Tahoe and setting backing the $15k difference between the $10k sale and the rest for the $25k for the other vehicle, is a very very smart idea. If you like the Tahoe and it meets your needs and if it is paid off, you did not say whether it was unless I missed it, I would keep it. No one can deny that as a road machine for comfort they cannot be beat and have endless possibilities for upgrades and performance if you decide to do anything like that.

Most shops will not allow supplied parts, I didn't unless the quality parts were guaranteed, but if you guarantee the quality parts and pay cash and give them the time they need and make sure you will send business their way, it can be done. All quality shops love a good will ambassador out there singing their praises. But make sure you never tell anyone you recommend to the shop that they allow parts supplied. The new customer has to do their own questions and negotiating.

OP
OP
Baggerjim

Baggerjim

Reaction score
How many miles? With the exception of the diff, this is all to be expected in the 80-100k mileage range. If you haven't replaced your shocks, expect to do that too. I just did all of this on mine at about 90k miles. From my experience, it's standard maintenance on a half-ton truck.

OP - you don't want to trade for a Traverse. Wrong idea. If you want to go smaller, look at a Colorado or even a Jeep. The Traverse is not a truck, and will be a disappointment to anyone used to a truck. I went through this decision back in 2019 because my Tahoe was approaching 100k and needed the usual suspension refresh. But I couldn't find anything I liked significantly better than what I have. So I took care of the suspension and installed some updates to try to bring some of the modern features to my not-so-modern truck.
I have replaced/repaired almost everything, brakes, suspension, all fluids have been done at least twice and I sent the oil to Blackstone labs, motor is showing no unusual wear. It will need u-joints and ball joints, etc. up front. it was a Florida truck so I would have the underside cleaned and oiled, a cool exhaust and new tires and wheels

OP
OP
Baggerjim

Baggerjim

Reaction score
Another thing to consider is this. You said you can't do some of the work any more. At 68 I am in the same boat. I have the knowledge and experience, after 35+ years in the automotive repair business. I just don't want to crawl around on the ground anymore for a major job. I am getting ready for a rear main seal and oil pan gasket and trans mount job. I made an agreement with a known top notch locally owned shop that has quality all over it. I promised to supply them with top of the line parts and pay the labor as they see fit and pay cash. Other easier things I do myself. I also buy their fluids. I also allow them full discretion if they find something during their work process. Saves me money on parts and I never ever rush them. I tell them they have it as long as they need it. The recommendation, made earlier in this thread, about keeping the Tahoe and setting backing the $15k difference between the $10k sale and the rest for the $25k for the other vehicle, is a very very smart idea. If you like the Tahoe and it meets your needs and if it is paid off, you did not say whether it was unless I missed it, I would keep it. No one can deny that as a road machine for comfort they cannot be beat and have endless possibilities for upgrades and performance if you decide to do anything like that.

Most shops will not allow supplied parts, I didn't unless the quality parts were guaranteed, but if you guarantee the quality parts and pay cash and give them the time they need and make sure you will send business their way, it can be done. All quality shops love a good will ambassador out there singing their praises. But make sure you never tell anyone you recommend to the shop that they allow parts supplied. The new customer has to do their own questions and negotiating.
I am going to be 72 and do have someone who just sold his shop and is working from his home garage so I can provide parts as needed. Truck is paid off, I have had it for 8 years and about 90,000 miles

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I am going to be 72 and do have someone who just sold his shop and is working from his home garage so I can provide parts as needed. Truck is paid off, I have had it for 8 years and about 90,000 miles

So, I am assuming you used the shop guy before and like his work and he gives a decent warranty on his work and allowing you to supply parts is a win/win. That is 1/2 the battle. You can also send business his way if he wants it. Again, you sound like you have made the choice and since you don't drive as much anymore, the difference in fuel mileage is not a concern. Enjoy the rig you have.

OP
OP
Baggerjim

Baggerjim

Reaction score
So, I am assuming you used the shop guy before and like his work and he gives a decent warranty on his work and allowing you to supply parts is a win/win. That is 1/2 the battle. You can also send business his way if he wants it. Again, you sound like you have made the choice and since you don't drive as much anymore, the difference in fuel mileage is not a concern. Enjoy the rig you have.
Thanks very much!

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would keep the Tahoe unless you’re just tired of driving a truck and want something with the same space but drives more like a car. The new body style Traverse is actually a pretty good vehicle but it doesn’t appeal to me to spend $15k to get one. A Traverse is also FWD so yo my will basically be able to do nothing yourself without rolling around on the ground. I’d out $5k into the Tahoe without thinking about it and get it set for another 100k miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz