Do I keep it or sell it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Baggerjim

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Looking for some advice. I have an '08 Tahoe LTZ with 150,000 miles, truck is well maintained, little to no rust underneath, engine, tranny, transfer and diff all seem in good shape and it has been serviced and repaired regularly as needed by me (Mostly). I do not tow anymore and my traveling is much less then it was a couple of years ago. It needs some minor body work and paint, be cleaned real good and some other "Stuff", total about $5,000. If I sell it I would end up with a 1 or 2 year old Traverse for $25,000. that would probably last as long as I'll drive. I love my Tahoe but I can't do most of the work anymore without help.
I have been offered $10,000. as it sits.

Thoughts about longevity and durability for another 50,000 + miles.

Thanks,

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I don’t see any reason the Tahoe can’t be reliable for another 50k. That said, stuff happens, and sometimes with newer vehicles too.

I’d base the decision on what I like to drive. Either vehicle could be reliable for 50k, or need a transmission next summer. Ten grand difference for me would not be the deciding factor.

CaptainAmerica1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stuck with a very well maintained truck with a known pedigree. As long as you keep your oil changed PM up to date then there’s no reason that truck won’t last another 50k... Traverse is fwd hell just changing a belt on those kinda sucks.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would put the $15,000 you would spend on the Traverse in a saving account, or at least the payment you would be making, and keep the Tahoe. Most likely, you will only have regular maintenance but if the transmission, or something else major should happen to go out, you have the money set aside to fix it. I am willing to bet, you will come out money ahead.

OP
OP
Baggerjim

Baggerjim

Reaction score
I don’t see any reason the Tahoe can’t be reliable for another 50k. That said, stuff happens, and sometimes with newer vehicles too.

I’d base the decision on what I like to drive. Either vehicle could be reliable for 50k, or need a transmission next summer. Ten grand difference for me would not be the deciding factor.
Thank You

OP
OP
Baggerjim

Baggerjim

Reaction score
Stuck with a very well maintained truck with a known pedigree. As long as you keep your oil changed PM up to date then there’s no reason that truck won’t last another 50k... Traverse is fwd hell just changing a belt on those kinda sucks.
Thanks

OP
OP
Baggerjim

Baggerjim

Reaction score
I would put the $15,000 you would spend on the Traverse in a saving account, or at least the payment you would be making, and keep the Tahoe. Most likely, you will only have regular maintenance but if the transmission, or something else major should happen to go out, you have the money set aside to fix it. I am willing to bet, you will come out money ahead.
Thank You

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in almost your exact spot ('07 Yukon, a tad less miles (mine was almost 100% tow vehicle with a pretty heavy trailer for the first 50-60K miles). One difference is my truck's cosmetics are still real good.

I too have reached the spot in my life where I don't want to do big things on my truck. For whatever reason, my local dealer is really inexpensive to use for maintenance and I have a five star independent shop just down the road who I can use as well with complete confidence on the biggest of stuff.

One of my problems is the more I look at options, the more I like my Yukon. I will say that new AT4 Yukon is very tempting (mainly the air lift suspension and eLSD), but when I look at the $5K a year in depreciation, along with almost every other operating cost metric going up (gas maybe a tad better, but only slightly), I realize I have exactly what I need. If something big comes along (say a remanufactured engine), I know that will be less than one year's depreciation on a new rig and as fast as the years go by now, I know I am really ahead staying put.

I love the Yukon, so will keep mine through thick and thin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Georgia 4Low