Universal Remote System: Can It Be Re-Wired to Ignition or RAP for Its Power Source?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol, I have parked 1 car in the garage 1 time in the last 40 years, needless to say the onboard door opener is not programmed.
if someone wants in your home or garage a window is easily broken, people get a false sense of security from doors

I had a friend in FL that was adamant about the same thing. left everything unlocked till eventually they walked up and went thru his unlocked car, open garage and looked in his house but didn't take anything in there while he was asleep in his bed. dig finally woke them up and he ran down the steet after them. he now keeps everything locked up.

doors work pretty well at keeping things out if sight out of mind. you can't stop a pro. but a good Criminal isn't after your junk, they got real shit to steal. but the bold and stupid are everywhere just taking random stuff for no good reason. inviting it seems like a bad idea.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I know 2 people that's use cameras like this.. not 100% sure it's the same brand and they don't have the opener option. but my only concern over the cheap 30-50$ home cams, especially the ones that don't charge you is most people don't realize there's gotta be a server behind all this, almost nothing and peer to peer and you'd need to pay for a static ip address to setup your own network. that server costs a lot of money to run. how are they making money off selling 30$ cams that work great and cost nothing to use that server? if I don't understand a business model, I try to avoid it.

same for cheap baby monitors and stuff.. people have access to all those live video feeds and I'd bet all the servers are off shore somewhere. outside it seems OK, but don't put one inside your house unless you know who's running it. I have some ring stuff and it's really nice to see what's happening at home when you're not there,(I know it doesn't stop crime, you just get to watch a video of your stuff getting stolen) but even those I pay Amazon a monthly fee for access, I'd never trust one inside my house.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My cousin bought some 'Galayou' brand cameras, works very well, 360 degree rotation so it's nice for checking up on things.
Fast and easy setup for remote viewing. Don't need to pay to check on your camera, but if you want recording or monitoring you would..
I thought these types (IP camera's) are connected to internet, they have their own static IP, shouldn't need a server?
Too bad they don't have the monitoring/recording software for your computer, but that's where they charge for the cloud service..

I just installed a Viofo A229 Plus dashcam because someone smashed my house window...
but they need light at nighttime, so I'm stuck leaving my lights on outside. (Someone also smashed my taillight a month ago.. )

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a friend in FL that was adamant about the same thing. left everything unlocked till eventually they walked up and went thru his unlocked car, open garage and looked in his house but didn't take anything in there while he was asleep in his bed. dig finally woke them up and he ran down the steet after them. he now keeps everything locked up.

doors work pretty well at keeping things out if sight out of mind. you can't stop a pro. but a good Criminal isn't after your junk, they got real shit to steal. but the bold and stupid are everywhere just taking random stuff for no good reason. inviting it seems like a bad idea.
I am not saying to leave everything unlocked (that's just asking for it) I am saying a window is easier to break than a door.
most the break in's that get reported around here anyway is they go around back and the 1st thing they do is break the sliding glass door.
business's that get broken into? guess how they got in........
cars that get broken into? same answer............
you are correct though, keep shit out of sight and it's less likely to happen

another common break in point is the garage side door, mine is nailed shut.

Jimmyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know 2 people that's use cameras like this.. not 100% sure it's the same brand and they don't have the opener option. but my only concern over the cheap 30-50$ home cams, especially the ones that don't charge you is most people don't realize there's gotta be a server behind all this, almost nothing and peer to peer and you'd need to pay for a static ip address to setup your own network. that server costs a lot of money to run. how are they making money off selling 30$ cams that work great and cost nothing to use that server? if I don't understand a business model, I try to avoid it.

same for cheap baby monitors and stuff.. people have access to all those live video feeds and I'd bet all the servers are off shore somewhere. outside it seems OK, but don't put one inside your house unless you know who's running it. I have some ring stuff and it's really nice to see what's happening at home when you're not there,(I know it doesn't stop crime, you just get to watch a video of your stuff getting stolen) but even those I pay Amazon a monthly fee for access, I'd never trust one inside my house.
To access all the features you need to pay for the cloud service. With a SD card you can still view recordings and open/close the door. If someone in China wants to watch my garage door, I hope they enjoy themselves. I can count on 1 hand how many time I have been nude in the garage, well maybe 2 hands.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are valid points, but I'm just looking to minimize ease of opportunities for ne'er-do-wells. I don't think any individual piece of security is a 100% solution.
i honestly never messed with the garage door opener on these myself just because for one I never use the garage for parking anything.
you would think it would be powered off if the key is not on? it is powered on 24/7?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Naileddown