Diy catch can install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjweb11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just assumed the passenger side allowed fresh air into the crankcase and drivers side vented it out to eliminate pressure changes meaning only the driver side would be dirty

Marioski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So how much oil is everyone getting in their catch cans?

I installed my catch can and have run it for about 1500 miles. (Same catch can as in post #1) I emptied it into a spray can bottle lid and it filled to the top with oil. I was a little shocked as I run a can in my mustang and hardly get anything. At this rate, I'm going to need a gallon sized catch can!

IMG_7319-M.jpg

IMG_7318-M.jpg

IMG_7435-M.jpg

Last edited:

Gron86

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So is this vacuum necessary? Would it affect the trucks performance if you unplugged it. Capped off the line on top of the intake manifold and simply put a small filter on the line coming from the valve cover so it could vent.

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, you could in theory, but you'd be venting all those oil vapors into the atmosphere & it won't pass visual smog if that's something you do. Either way...the catch can will a) keep the system closed, b) pass emissions, & c) keep all the oil from sludging up the top end.

You may throw an SES light with an open system...the computers may trip on the missing air. A catch can on a closed system gives the environmental benefits of a closed pcv without sludging up the top end. It allows you to remove contaminated vapors from the crankcase & collect it safely.

Basic definitions of closed vs open pcv systems...

Open PCV Systems

The open system draws fresh air though a vented oil filler cap. This works fine as long as the vapor volume is minimal and when the engine is running. However, when the crankcase vapor becomes excessive - or when the engine is shut off - it is forced back through the vented oil filler cap and into the open atmosphere. The open PCV system, though successful at removing contaminated vapors from the crankcase, is not completely effective as a pollution control device.

Closed PCV Systems

The closed PCV system draws fresh air from the air filter housing. The oil filler cap in this system is NOT vented. Consequently, excess vapor will be carried back to the air filter housing and from there into the intake manifold. The closed system prevents vapor, whether normal or excessive, from reaching the open atmosphere. The closed system is very effective as an air pollution control device.

Cameron

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401