Diy catch can install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D_R_C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed mine this morning hopefully the info and pic's help others.
It is pretty simple, just knowing a little more before you start helps.
I apologize if the pic's are a little blurry and I hope you can make everything out.

It's pretty simple, but knowing how to get the engine cover off was probably the biggest deal and it is NOT mentioned anywhere in my manual.
On the 07 you pull up on the front (no yanking up) once it is removed from the 2 mounts then pull it towards you and a little towards the pass side, then pull out.
Installing it back in reverse.
Then figuring out where to put the Catch Can so nothing was in the way.

I know the newer models are a little different than my 07 Denali, on the intake you might need to cut the plastic line, but at the rear the PCV line slips off.

The factory PCV line on the 07 slips off both ends there is no clamps on either end and the 3/8" Fuel/PCV/Vapor line slips right over using clamps.
You can store the complete un-cut PCV/Dirty hose line in your garage somewhere, then you'll have it if you ever sell and want to keep the Catch Can.

Where I located mine there is NOTHING in the way to deal with, its wide open to service.

I went with http://catchcans.com/can1.html delivered to my front door for something actually made to catch OIL which is what I was looking for.
No time spent at the hardware store looking for something that MIGHT work.
NO polishing on mine to worry about :cheers:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• PCV FACTORY LINE.jpg
    PCV FACTORY LINE.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 1,353
  • PCV-Dirty line removed.jpg
    PCV-Dirty line removed.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 1,350
  • CATCH CAN 4-22=13.jpg
    CATCH CAN 4-22=13.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 1,356
  • PCV CATCH CAN INSTALLED.jpg
    PCV CATCH CAN INSTALLED.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 1,360
  • PCV factory line to save.jpg
    PCV factory line to save.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 1,349
Last edited by a moderator:

sparkie124

Reaction score
Right to the point and simple. Thanks. Will be doing this soon. The engine side goes to the CC inlet port and the intake goes to the CC outlet port. Right.

OP
OP
D_R_C

D_R_C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right to the point and simple. Thanks. Will be doing this soon. The engine side goes to the CC inlet port and the intake goes to the CC outlet port. Right.

The inlet port is on the top going to the back of the valve cover driver side.
The outlet port is on the side going to the top of the engine intake.

FYI When you get the Catch Can it is NOT ready to install out of the box. You should unscrew both ends and lube/oil the oil rings then re-install them.
Also there are 4 brass fittings that are loose you should remove and put thread sealant on the threads and tighten up.
I used Permatex High Performance Thread sealant it is much better than Teflon tape and/or pipe joint compound, which will not hold up very good overtime.
Or something that holds up to high heat, high temps, oil, fuel, high pressure.
Of course this takes a few minutes out of the basic install time.

Last edited:

ToddEdge

Reaction score
Very nice install. I like how you mounted it using an existing bolt on the booster/master cylinder. I've seen a few others and they use the alternator bracket, which I personally don't like.

Did the kit come with the needed hoses or did you have to buy those seperately?

Thanks,
Todd

OP
OP
D_R_C

D_R_C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to buy my own hose, which some of these catch can kits come with cheesy hose anyway.
I used 3/8" fuel/vapor/PCV hose.
I agree with you on installing at the alternator it's right on top of the power steering.
Also the catch can will get much hotter at that location the engine heat transfers to the can, compared to where I installed mine.

ToddEdge

Reaction score
I had to buy my own hose, which some of these catch can kits come with cheesy hose anyway.
I used 3/8" fuel/vapor/PCV hose.
I agree with you on installing at the alternator it's right on top of the power steering.
Also the catch can will get much hotter at that location the engine heat transfers to the can, compared to where I installed mine.

I ordered mine yesterday. For the hose, is it 3/8" inside diameter? What did it need, about 6' total?

Thanks,
Todd

OP
OP
D_R_C

D_R_C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered mine yesterday. For the hose, is it 3/8" inside diameter? What did it need, about 6' total?

Thanks,
Todd

I bought 5' but you only need maybe 3 1/2', I'd buy at least 5' just in case.
@ $1.69 a foot I would rather have a little left over than going back out to buy more.
At first I ended up with not having enough length on the hose that goes to the valve cover to the can going thru the opening in the engine cover.
Luckily I had bought enough hose to re-due it.
I learned after the first time to connect the hoses at the rear of the valve cover and intake leave loose install the cover with the hoses going thru the opening, then cut to fit at the can.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC