Diagnostic and Programming tool research - anyone use the Mongoose cable from drewtech / opusvis?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeffm333

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looking at diagnostic/programming tools for 2013 Suburban Z71. I've neen researching the clone options for MDI, MDI2, Tech2 devices, and all the associated software. VXDIAG's VXC Nano seems to have had some people that have had success here, and some folks have some youtube videos out successfully programming BCM/ECM and other control modules for other GM vehicles... albeit reviews on Amazon are atrocious and most reviews indicate that getting it to work takes some strong computer/tech skills.

Surprisingly I haven't been able to find any examples of anyone using the mongoose cable solution... maybe I'm just not using the search capability appropriately? Or maybe the $500ish price tag just pushes folks away?

I have used what is effectively a Chinese clone of the mongoose cable for a toyota vehicle using their Techstream software, and it was a challenge to get the software working on a windows 7 burner laptop, but it mostly worked. Primarily diagnostic stuff, poking around, using it to follow the brake bleed procedures, etc.

Here are links:

Has anyone heard of anyone on here or elsewhere using these with success? (via Tech2Win installs, SPS programming online, GDS/GDS2, TIS2000, etc.?)

Last edited:

MWD_CTSV

Reaction score
The Mongoose Pro has been highly regarded in the Ford community for a long time and it is the only one that can program certain ECM computers given that it's design is the best being capable of proper flash programming voltage control.

The Plus GM3 is the only aftermarket J2534 programmer listed on GM dealer tools site, so that speaks volumes. Drew Technologies is somewhat unique in making 'prosumer' devices for lower cost by selling per manufacturer J2534 programmers along with higher cost comprehensive ones which a large shop might use.

I think part of the reason that no one here has one is partially the cost as you say, but more so the fact that very few need to reprogram the BCM/ECM/TECM and it is much easier and cheaper to buy a standalone Tech2 than to run Tech2Win.

Having a GM Tech2, a Honda HDS, and several Foxwell diagnostic tools, they all have their place and do the respective dealer level diag that is very helpful, but I did splurge and get an Autel that does all cars which I love, because it is faster and wireless, and I can help other people with troubleshooting their vehicle. For data monitoring I still use HPtuners because I can collect, format and process the data so much better, but it only works for the US Big3.

NoNamesLeft

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looking at diagnostic/programming tools for 2013 Suburban Z71. I've neen researching the clone options for MDI, MDI2, Tech2 devices, and all the associated software. VXDIAG's VXC Nano seems to have had some people that have had success here, and some folks have some youtube videos out successfully programming BCM/ECM and other control modules for other GM vehicles... albeit reviews on Amazon are atrocious and most reviews indicate that getting it to work takes some strong computer/tech skills.

Surprisingly I haven't been able to find any examples of anyone using the mongoose cable solution... maybe I'm just not using the search capability appropriately? Or maybe the $500ish price tag just pushes folks away?

I have used what is effectively a Chinese clone of the mongoose cable for a toyota vehicle using their Techstream software, and it was a challenge to get the software working on a windows 7 burner laptop, but it mostly worked. Primarily diagnostic stuff, poking around, using it to follow the brake bleed procedures, etc.

Here are links:

Has anyone heard of anyone on here or elsewhere using these with success? (via Tech2Win installs, SPS programming online, GDS/GDS2, TIS2000, etc.?)
Did you get the Mongoose? How do you like it? Does it come with all the software needed or do you have to buy the Tech2win software somewhere else?

The Mongoose Pro has been highly regarded in the Ford community for a long time and it is the only one that can program certain ECM computers given that it's design is the best being capable of proper flash programming voltage control.

The Plus GM3 is the only aftermarket J2534 programmer listed on GM dealer tools site, so that speaks volumes. Drew Technologies is somewhat unique in making 'prosumer' devices for lower cost by selling per manufacturer J2534 programmers along with higher cost comprehensive ones which a large shop might use.

I think part of the reason that no one here has one is partially the cost as you say, but more so the fact that very few need to reprogram the BCM/ECM/TECM and it is much easier and cheaper to buy a standalone Tech2 than to run Tech2Win.

Having a GM Tech2, a Honda HDS, and several Foxwell diagnostic tools, they all have their place and do the respective dealer level diag that is very helpful, but I did splurge and get an Autel that does all cars which I love, because it is faster and wireless, and I can help other people with troubleshooting their vehicle. For data monitoring I still use HPtuners because I can collect, format and process the data so much better, but it only works for the US Big3.
Which Autel do you have? I'm on the fence which way to go. Have read of many issues with the Tech2 clones and many of the links to them no longer work which seems to be a red flag. Autel has so many models its difficult to decide which one. Money isn't really an issue since our vehicles are the second most expensive possession for most of us so pinching pennies on important tools makes no sense. I'd like to stay below $1,000, but would pay more for a tool that covers most other manufacturers.

MWD_CTSV

Reaction score
Autel is certainly VERY confusing in terms of model selection, and their naming conventions are horrid. The short answer is all of the bidirectional scanners that say 28+ or higher functions provide essentially the same coverage for a 6+ year old vehicle. For some of the latest features in the newer model cars, they may only implement those first on the more expensive models. As you go up in price, you get bigger screens, higher resolutions, faster wireless, more memory and more cpu, larger battery, etc. You also can get access to documentation like TSBs or factory trouble-shooting.

Best bang for the buck is the MK808S, currently less than $400.

If you upgrade to the same thing with bluetooth, you get a wireless dongle that plugs into the OBD-II so you don't have to mess with a wire. Really nice for diagnosis from the engine bay. ~$525

I have the MS906 PRO, but it is twice the price and I don't think it is worth it.

NoNamesLeft

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
MWD_CTSV do you know if the afm can be disabled via coding with the 906? That alone would justify the higher price of the 906 imo. Even better if the new 808Z could do it....

MWD_CTSV

Reaction score
MWD_CTSV do you know if the afm can be disabled via coding with the 906? That alone would justify the higher price of the 906 imo. Even better if the new 808Z could do it....
No, all the aftermarket diag tools from the aftermarket, are essentially 'copying' the implementation of the factory diag, which mainly only interact with the computers in the car to alter 'features' which the car computer is willing to change. Most of the accepted changes are only temporary, but a few are permanent, such as 'coding' a new key to the car or coding new components (such as an airbag or ECM) to the car.

Level 2 is using a programmer to update the entire software image. Typically (for a repair shop), this would be using a J2534 type device to operate in passthrough mode to allow factory software updates to be reprogrammed to update one of the computers.

Level 3 is using the level 2 feature to update the software image, but also allowing the ability to alter pieces of the software image. But it still has to upload the whole software image, because that is the only alteration method accepted.

There is a Level 1.5, where you plug a device into the OBD-II, which is continually issuing commands designed for temporary diag testing or altering information sent to the computer(s) to effect an altered outcome. If you don't have a Level 2 or Level 3 option, maybe this is slightly better, but in general I think this approach is more sketch and desperation.