Decided to keep and now want info/recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
At this point since my 2002 runs like a top and has low miles for the year, 158k. Averaged just over 8k a year and is a one owner. I think I am just gonna bite the bullet and spend some money on it. The leather interior has absolutely no tears. All accessories and systems work without a flaw. Within the last year I have done all AC Delco plugs, wires, filters, water pump, tensioners, idlers and belts. Have ran syn oil in it for the 3 years I have owned and I have put less than 8k on it in those 3 years. I live where I work at a large self storage facility. It is close to needing tires and I plan to do some custom wheels. Has the typical clear coat prob at only the top of driver's door and driver's rear door. Some scratches at the driver's door key area. That is it. no dings or dents. Very small impact mark just to the right of license plate mount on front.

Thinking of maybe some performance exhaust if there is anyone here that has recommendations.

Please don't recommend K&N filter set up. Have never been sold on any value there.

Maybe some suspension mods.

Because I worked in the auto repair industry for over 35 years I am fully aware of stock parts and repairs but lack a bit in the performance mods. Was never really in to that till now. Thanks in advance for your help.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bang-for-the-buck performance mods would be custom tune (not a "canned" tune from a handheld) and an electric cooling fan. I'm a fan of a free-flow muffler, headers (mid-length) and AIRAID MIT or homemade smooth intake tube (stock filter and box is fine). Unless the pipes are damaged or rusty, I don't see the point in replacing the whole exhaust system. Just swap the stock muffler for one of your choice.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Thanks. Free flow muffler was something I was thinking of. I am in Oregon and the vehicle was only owned by one owner here in Oregon and we use no salt on the roads here so rust is not a problem. Custom tune is interesting.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Free flow muffler was something I was thinking of. I am in Oregon and the vehicle was only owned by one owner here in Oregon and we use no salt on the roads here so rust is not a problem. Custom tune is interesting.

No need to get pricey with the muffler. Pick one off of Amazon and weld or have it welded in. I got a Magnaflow knock-off for about 1/3 the price of a Magnaflow. I'm thoroughly pleased with the construction and sound of it.

If you had to pick one mod based on effectiveness, the custom tune wins hands-down. If you switched to the electric fans, such as those from the '05+ trucks and SUVs, you'd need the circuit activated in the tune, anyway. My experience with an electric fan conversion was on my S10 and it was an awesome improvement. No engine drag in hot weather, no clutch fan roar, and A/C blew as cold as it could even when idling.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The electric fan mod is something I am familiar with. I used to do a lot of very demanding off road driving. We did the electric fans and got rid of the propeller fan and fan clutch. I also ran a full aluminum 4 core radiator and never had problems. Thanks for the info.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Black Bear Tune and electric fan.
New muffler will make things sound good, which is a big plus, but I doubt you'll see any 'performance' benefit.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The mods will be 90% for looks and the sound. At this time I am not comfortable with performance mods that change the engine performance that much.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The mods will be 90% for looks and the sound. At this time I am not comfortable with performance mods that change the engine performance that much.

I don't know how you drive it or how much you know about tuning, but the factory shift tables for the trans suck. "Suck", as in, damaging to the trans. For instance, GM has a lot of "slip" programmed in to make it shift soft and buttery smooth. This feels nice, but comes at the expense of trans life. If you drive it really easily and rarely tow then you may never notice it or have any issues as a result. Even if you may not be interested in tuning for engine power, a GOOD custom tune, such as from Black Bear, will remove the excessive slip from the trans tuning, vastly improving the driving characteristics and prolonging torque converter and clutch life. I'm no professional, but I think most of the power gained at the rear wheels from a tune is not from tweaking the engine's fuel and spark maps to run more aggressively, but from letting the trans more efficiently direct what power the engine does make to the rear wheels rather than letting it be converted to heat in the trans. There are a few areas within the engine's tuning itself that can be improved upon, though, and this is where you want an experienced tuner doing their thing. There's no need to advance the spark tables to the moon or crank up the injector pulse. Just fine-tune a few things that will improve it's efficiency and do no harm. Aside from being able to use more of the power the engine makes, pretty much everyone comments on how much more responsive, lively and enjoyable their truck is after the tune- "it's how it should've came from the factory".

Lift it or lower it on new shoes, refresh the suspension bushings and make it sound like it has balls and go from there!

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think everyone else has covered the tune and efans. If not, tune and efans. I'll try suspension; How do you use your vehicle: Do you ever go off road? 2wd or 4wd? Would you be looking at dropping it or lowering it, if so do you know how much? The cheapest and easiest thing to do to help with handling is to level it out. That will help with side to side but getting rid of the rake will give it a little more pulled back in the seat feeling if you really don't like that. For the same reason, do you tow?

Can I/we ask what kind of budget you were considering to put in? The e fans and tune you are lookin a little under $1000. Leveling and IMO poly swaybar bracket bushings, whether you raise the front or drop the rear an inch or two, its all pretty easy, and about $100 for those parts.

Adding a little more power, (and even if you weren't), since you didn't mention it, making sure you know of the NNBS front brake upgrade, and possibly hydroboost if not equipped.

Everything that's been said so far in this thread is really the "general starting point" for mods for this model.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157