Decided to keep and now want info/recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
This is the info I need and want. Very familiar with trans shifting points and how the slippage for soft shifts also cause more heat and therefore less trans life. I live where I work so I put very few miles on the rig a year. Even at my age I do like to feel the stiffer suspension for handling because I tend to drive it pretty hard when I do take it out. I really appreciate all the info and will keep this thread handy for reference. Now that I have decided to keep this 2002 I am looking forward to spending some time and money on it.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I was impressed with the 2011 that I drove last night. Not a ding or a scratch in it anywhere. Interior was perfect. Tried to slide the cover for the moon roof and there is an accordion shaped curtain looking piece on each side that looks like it just fills in the gap there. The one above the driver had come unhooked/unattached and was draping down. It was interfering with the cover slide till I poked it back up. Looks like a very easy fix. The drivers side outside mirror had some of the plastic trim broke away on the very outer edge. About 10" in length. Looks like the driver broke it off when hitting something while backing up. The mirror functioned fine though. By the way, as I would normally do, I did romp on it to put the trans thru it's paces.

One big glaring thing that did not impress me was the driver's seat. I have way more leg room on my 2002 than this 2011 has. I had the seat all the way back, the back seat rest tilted back to my limit of comfort and I had the lower seat tilted up in front to help elevate my thighs so my knees would not touch the center console or the driver's door. I could not drive all over town or on a trip with the seat like this. This was an LTZ model with the second row captain's chairs. Would that have anything to do with the front seat adjustments?

The stock exhaust had been replaced and had a throaty sound to it. It was not obnoxious but when romped on it, it was quite loud.

They wanted $23,995 for the Tahoe. I offered $21k and trade my 2002 for $5k and the difference I would pay in cash and I would fix the moon roof curtain and driver's mirror myself.

They said thanks but no thanks and so did I and we shook hands and parted with hand shakes. I am a capitalist thru and thru. I gotta make money and so do they. No hard feelings.

Gonna look at 3 others this weekend. One tonight and 2 on Monday. If they all have the driver's seat cramp for me, then I will be keeping my 2002 and maybe look for another one no older than the 2006. I am 6'4" tall and weigh in at 320 lbs. Even if I lose weight I am not gonna shrink in length.

The more and more I look at the newer Tahoe's I see a great design but none seem to match the comfort of my 2002. It seems the grass is not always greener.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
This is the info I need and want. Very familiar with trans shifting points and how the slippage for soft shifts also cause more heat and therefore less trans life. I live where I work so I put very few miles on the rig a year. Even at my age I do like to feel the stiffer suspension for handling because I tend to drive it pretty hard when I do take it out. I really appreciate all the info and will keep this thread handy for reference. Now that I have decided to keep this 2002 I am looking forward to spending some time and money on it.

A. Solid decision on keeping the low mile 2002. We read the "I miss my NBS" posts all the time.

B. Agree with Tony. Do a trans service and throw the vette servo in it. Firmer, quicker 1-2 and better holding on 3-4. Feels great and will increase trans longevity.

Then tune it.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everything everybody has mentioned is spot on. The single biggest bang for the buck, and what will bring you the most satisfaction and make it seem like a whole new truck, would be the tune from someone like Blackbear Performance. Unfortunately since you live in Oregon like I do, you can’t get an in-person tune since they never make it out here. There are other ways though. I bought an Autocal which allows them to email me tunes and then I use the Autocal to transfer them into the truck via the OBD port. I would be willing to loan it to you with a deposit if you’re local to Portland or there are other ways, check their website. There’s an option to rent equipment from them to transfer a tune.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I was actually reading Black Bear info about the rental of equipment when this post came up. I am definitely going to do the tune and the Corvette trans servo. I am in Eugene and I don't even come close to driving near Portland with the crap that goes on their with the homeless and ANTIFA. I appreciate the offer but I feel more comfortable just renting it all from Black Bear. How much is the Autocal?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I was actually reading Black Bear info about the rental of equipment when this post came up. I am definitely going to do the tune and the Corvette trans servo. I am in Eugene and I don't even come close to driving near Portland with the crap that goes on their with the homeless and ANTIFA. I appreciate the offer but I feel more comfortable just renting it all from Black Bear. How much is the Autocal?

You could always road trip it to Idaho. Your ride home would be sick!

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yea, I saw where they have a live tune in Coeur D'Alene, ID. That would be a fun drive back. The home office for Black Bear is right around the corner in Hayden. I would want to take friends and make a weekend of it.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another option with the AutoCal is to buy one used. There seems to be one popping up for sale every couple of months on one of many related forums. Someone gets their tune where they want it then they never mess with it again, so they offload the AutoCal. They usually go for around $200. I wanna say I saw one on performancetrucks.net for $150 recently.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I email Black Bear about dates in Idaho. I will also see about getting a used Autocal or even a new one. When you figure in what the tune would cost there and the trip expenses it may be a wash on just getting the Autocal and doing it myself. Plus with my 35+ years in the repair field, it would allow me to get back in to PLAYING with things.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I email Black Bear about dates in Idaho. I will also see about getting a used Autocal or even a new one. When you figure in what the tune would cost there and the trip expenses it may be a wash on just getting the Autocal and doing it myself. Plus with my 35+ years in the repair field, it would allow me to get back in to PLAYING with things.
I forgot about buying a used one. If you do that, you can always sell it when or if you’re ever done with it. Keep in mind that the tune is for life so if you change anything ( tire size, add a cam, different exhaust, blower, stall, servo, etc) they will send a new tune. They’ve retuned The Beast about 7 times I think. You just hook it up, drive around for 15 minutes collecting data, download it and email it to them and they email a new tune.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gudmat