Custom paint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

inmypassatlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone here ever get a custom paint job? I used to be into the scene a lot, but have been low-key since my son was born 6 years ago. I've got a decent painter lined up with a good resume. I'd like to stick to something close to my oem green as a total color change is a pain financially. Figured I'd bring it to this part of the forum for folks to chime in.
I like this over a black basecoat
https://kandypearls.com/shop/kandy-pearl-paint-colors/metallic-paint/green-blue-candy-paint-pearl/

I was originally looking at the chameleon as I have had a previous car done like this but it's too flashy for me these days
https://kandypearls.com/shop/kameleon-paint/blue-to-green-chameleon-paint-pearls-super-flash-4779bg/
https://kandypearls.com/shop/kameleon-paint/starry-night-teal-blue-purple-chameleon-paint/

If I did a total repaint I'd do a mocha brown color with a heavy brown candy Pearl, but then I'd need to change to a bronze wheel like @Red Rocket and I'm not really up for that right now.

With body work and the hookup price is be in about $1300 what y'all think of that green?

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a decent price. Does that include the door jams and engine compartment?

OP
OP
inmypassatlife

inmypassatlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a decent price. Does that include the door jams and engine compartment?
Nope, that's why I'm trying to stick to a dark green paint. Jambs would be another $500, this oem green looks black in low light and pops in sunlight. Otherwise the dark green to blue flipflop over black base would be on the table.

Last edited:

1992rs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have polo green metallic right? Ive always thought about throwing in some gold flake when it came time to do a re-spray with mine. I think whatever way you go it'll look great because our green is a solid color to begin with. Looking forward to future updates.

OP
OP
inmypassatlife

inmypassatlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have polo green metallic right? Ive always thought about throwing in some gold flake when it came time to do a re-spray with mine. I think whatever way you go it'll look great because our green is a solid color to begin with. Looking forward to future updates.
yessir, I am going to see a sample of the black base today. I am on the fence about adding more green microflake AND the pearl.

OP
OP
inmypassatlife

inmypassatlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So...body work (minimal), black metallic base, 8oz of pearl, 3 coats of clear, shaved rear wiper, and a rollpan would put me at $1350 only because I have enough gift cards to cover the rollpan and the pearl through eBay. Will take 10 days. He's currently doing a 66 beetle that's a $4k full repaint so I have a few days to get my schedule to work.

OP
OP
inmypassatlife

inmypassatlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice , Just don't go to MAACO like the other guy did. LOL
lol, no shit...well it is some dude's backyard. He is an independent and works on 2-3 cars at a time. Nice work, alot of retired Airforce guys in town go to him, thats who the bettle belonged to.

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that green w/ blk base coat will look good

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn