Custom paint ideas? Black & Grey Off road / Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to paint my truck... Curious what ideas might be out there for really cool paint jobs on 2nd gen tahoe and or what awesome custom paint jobs you've seen.

I want to utilize black and grey colors the factory had (or similar). I also want to use some sort of a rubberized liner on bottom parts of doors down, where the fold starts (possibly higher depending on design).

I'd originally thought to simply cut it at the crease in the door and paint grey bed-liner down. Then refinish rest of body with stock black color. I have some pretty dismal Photoshop alterations (not exactly sure how to do this in photo shop so not attached), but not excited about that design making lower part of car grey. Looks really odd.

My overall plans are to eventually include:

- Rock rails
- Roof rack
- Hidden *****
- Steel 16" rims black or grey - possibly just paint my rims for now.

This is a truck I use for work (haul and pull stuff around) and to go off-road but not a fan of lift kits etc.

This is what my truck is supposed to look like factory
1200x-.jpg

This is what it looks like now (Sorry for tennis ball in shot)
20190525_204951.jpg

I like what this person did with their truck, but isn't quite the look I was after, as truck is intended somewhat for offroad I like the matt finishes.

Untitled-1.jpg

Maybe kind of like what this guy has, but w/o the goofy bumper on the front (I feel like those are a waste - although like the spare tire on the rear bumper like that).

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On some vehicles, I like the pillars between the windows to be black to look like one complete wrap around window (if the tint is dark enough). Maybe the rest then gray, or with black trim (wheel wells, bumpers, rack, mirrors, door handles).

Jeff Groves

Retired Demo Expert. I don't need to run anymore!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A quick Gun Metal Black Candy Pearl shot over the black is real nice and easy.
Gives it that shimmer look in the right light.
You could add white pearl to the black to get a custom grey look.
I'm playing with a Gun Metal black Candy pearl and a white pearl that glows blue in the dark to see what it looks like.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wounder what that gun metal black (instead of gray) on lower part for bed line with matt black on top would look like.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man that's wild :| I started playing in Photoshop but felt it was in vein. Sadly enough I work in photoshop for my business and have hundreds of hours of study and countless hours touching up Real Estate photographs and head shots. However, I've never tried to change color of a car in it lol Here's what I got...

FYI Really bad photos, probably 1/2 my trouble? I just shot them at night in my garage with my cell phone lol Given I work with cameras a lot for work I hate setting up all the pro gear :/

c1.jpg

Jeff Groves

Retired Demo Expert. I don't need to run anymore!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I work in 3D programs as a hobby.
I find it's much better as you can rotate and see a near perfect render from any angle.
And I can adjust lighting and such.
I'll do a quick render of the Hoe model I have with the paint your way.
Dull bottom and gloss top? Or dull top and gloss bottom?

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I work in 3D programs as a hobby.
I find it's much better as you can rotate and see a near perfect render from any angle.
And I can adjust lighting and such.
I'll do a quick render of the Hoe model I have with the paint your way.
Dull bottom and gloss top? Or dull top and gloss bottom?
Wait you are the guy with "hoe" tahoe?

Dull bottom top glass :) gun metal bottom top gloss black, close to factory color.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk