Crank and no start no fire from coil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shane333

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No fire from coil I can take a ground wire and touch it to the signal wire at the pcm and it tries to start thats the only way it will try to start 1999 tahoe

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
Check the cap and rotor for the well known problems they have and are you checking "fire"/"spark" at the wire to cap or wire to coil? Remove the cap and rotor and look at the pickup coil wires to see they are all still intact. sometimes those wires can break over time. If any of them are broken, just get a good quality reman distributor. You may also have a failed ignition module.

OP
OP
S

shane333

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
Check the cap and rotor for the well known problems they have and are you checking "fire"/"spark" at the wire to cap or wire to coil? Remove the cap and rotor and look at the pickup coil wires to see they are all still intact. sometimes those wires can break over time. If any of them are broken, just get a good quality reman distributor. You may also have a failed ignition module.
No fire at coil I can ground the signal wire at the pcm and it will start

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

GTRhino24

Reaction score
I had this issue when I replaced the intake gasket a while back. Turned over but no injector pulse. I was leaning over to check my connections on the distributor and I heard the injectors fire. What? I had placed my hand on the coil to brace myself. Something about the pins on the plugs to the coil were causing it to lose contact. If I wiggled the plugs with the ignition on, I could make the injectors fire. Bent the pins and fixed it.

OP
OP
S

shane333

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
Check the cap and rotor for the well known problems they have and are you checking "fire"/"spark" at the wire to cap or wire to coil? Remove the cap and rotor and look at the pickup coil wires to see they are all still intact. sometimes those wires can break over time. If any of them are broken, just get a good quality reman distributor. You may also have
I had this issue when I replaced the intake gasket a while back. Turned over but no injector pulse. I was leaning over to check my connections on the distributor and I heard the injectors fire. What? I had placed my hand on the coil to brace myself. Something about the pins on the plugs to the coil were causing it to lose contact. If I wiggled the plugs with the ignition on, I could make the injectors fire. Bent the pins and fixed it.
Via update it was my crank shaft sensor got 3 bad ones before I got one that was good thanks for the help

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What brand sensors were you buying? Is the good one the same Brand?, if so I'd be worried about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertoTahoe2011