Cracked Dash DIY Repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Costal_Cat

Costal_Cat

Reaction score
I really need to do this repair. My concern is my Dash is so broken it may not come out whole.

You know the things are pretty tough I was concerned that I would make mine worse getting it out but it didn't. I will say recruiting someone to help with the removal is a good idea. That way you can have some support on the passenger side while you wrestle it around the steering wheel and shifter.

OP
OP
Costal_Cat

Costal_Cat

Reaction score
Quick update...

I found that my clock on the head unit kept saying 12:00 and I could not adjust the day when I went to the menu. I never use the NAV but I finally checked that screen and there was a GPS Symbol with a red line thru it. So I checked my connections under the front dash cover, which goes up to the windshield and very easy to pop off no bolts, everything was fine. So I pulled the head unit back out, again very easy remove the trim and then a few of the 7mm bolts. I noticed that the blue antenna connector which is the GPS came off very easy as if maybe it did not click in so I inserted again until I felt the click. Turned on the unit and still had the GPS with the redline. Yet I noticed that the map knew exactly where I was located. So I went into the menu selected points of interest (POI) and selected the first gas station on the list. Once I did that the time appeared on the unit (not adj for DST) and when I got back to the main nav screen the GPS symbol was gone. I was then able to set the date and time correctly. I turned off the vehicle and back on and the time kept and all was fine.

So just an FYI if you try this and get a GPS error.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick update...

I found that my clock on the head unit kept saying 12:00 and I could not adjust the day when I went to the menu. I never use the NAV but I finally checked that screen and there was a GPS Symbol with a red line thru it. So I checked my connections under the front dash cover, which goes up to the windshield and very easy to pop off no bolts, everything was fine. So I pulled the head unit back out, again very easy remove the trim and then a few of the 7mm bolts. I noticed that the blue antenna connector which is the GPS came off very easy as if maybe it did not click in so I inserted again until I felt the click. Turned on the unit and still had the GPS with the redline. Yet I noticed that the map knew exactly where I was located. So I went into the menu selected points of interest (POI) and selected the first gas station on the list. Once I did that the time appeared on the unit (not adj for DST) and when I got back to the main nav screen the GPS symbol was gone. I was then able to set the date and time correctly. I turned off the vehicle and back on and the time kept and all was fine.

So just an FYI if you try this and get a GPS error.

Yup. If there is no GPS signal, the clock will always reset to 12:00. I upgraded my OEM radio to an OEM Nav unit. I didn't care for the OEM Nav function, but I bought an antenna just so the clock would work. I didn't do any POI or nav functions when I first hooked mine up. I just drove for a couple of minutes until it established a signal.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's causing these cracks on relatively new vehicles? Sunlight? Would a dash cover have prevented this?

Large, unsupported area. The plastic being made brittle with age and/or exposure to UV and/or extreme temps exacerbates the issue. A dash cover may make it worse by holding heat under it. I've always told myself that if I had a dash that hadn't cracked yet, I'd slip a couple of gallon-sized or maybe 3 or 4 quart-sized Ziploc bags inside the middle of the dash under that big unsupported area and squirt some expanding foam sealant into them.

OP
OP
Costal_Cat

Costal_Cat

Reaction score
Large, unsupported area. The plastic being made brittle with age and/or exposure to UV and/or extreme temps exacerbates the issue. A dash cover may make it worse by holding heat under it. I've always told myself that if I had a dash that hadn't cracked yet, I'd slip a couple of gallon-sized or maybe 3 or 4 quart-sized Ziploc bags inside the middle of the dash under that big unsupported area and squirt some expanding foam sealant into them.

You know that would not be a bad idea really. There is so much empty space in there. I added some foam and such that only helps so much...

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know that would not be a bad idea really. There is so much empty space in there. I added some foam and such that only helps so much...

Your foam is probably doing just as well if it's placed in the right areas and if it stays put.

My thoughts with the expanding foam is that it would fill in and take the shape of the surrounding areas, securing it into place while forming a "custom-shaped support". Putting it in bags keeps it from sticking to everything (especially wire harnesses) should the dash ever need to be disassembled.

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Expanding foam could too easily go too far and destroy your dash.

Pat in Tennessee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu