Cracked Dash DIY Repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Costal_Cat

Reaction score
First post but I should thank the forum for all the info to date. I to have the typical cracked dash and me to not wanting to spend $500-$1200 decided to fix it myself. I did things a little different than most folks thanks to this youtube video

One tool that was used in this video is a Hot Staple Gun Kit for Plastic Repair which is a pretty unusual device. You can find it here for under $100

https://www.amazon.com/Astro-7600-Staple-Plastic-Repair/dp/B0096PGOOQ

This gun melt plastic staples into the dash so that when it cools, you have some metal reinforcement around the crack. Here is a couple of pictures of my repair

Staples.jpg

Driver crack.jpg

After putting in a bunch of these staples I then used a plastic epoxy for additional reinforcement over the staples.

Staples and Epoxy.jpg

Here is what they looked like afterward.

Driver finished.jpg
This is over the driver dash pod

Airbag finished.jpg

and this is the passenger airbag

I also fixed and reinforced some additional cracks around mounting points. Used rubber washers when reinstalling. Added some foam under the dash pod and around the center speaker for additional support. I only have a couple of days driving now but it feels very solid and in putting it back in there was enough flex to get it back in and everything held fine.....

On the plus side since I had the trim out I polished all the wood with some plastic headlight restorer and that got rid of a lot of the scratches.

I have a couple of 5 hour drives coming up so I will post if this fails....

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you take any pics after install with everything put together? How hard would you say this job was? I wish I had the courage to take that all apart. How much did you spend to fix and how long did it take?

Congrats btw, thats an awesome first post :)

OP
OP
Costal_Cat

Costal_Cat

Reaction score
Can you take any pics after install with everything put together? How hard would you say this job was? I wish I had the courage to take that all apart. How much did you spend to fix and how long did it take?

Congrats btw, thats an awesome first post :)

Thanks!

Sure here are three pics

Dash pod crack installed.jpg
Above driver dash pod crack

Airbag crack installed.jpg

Here is the airbag crack

Full dash resinstalled.jpg

The full dash here.

Overall this is very easy to remove. I'm pretty handy but there was nothing complicated. The video is key as he goes through it in the order you need to remove things. You also get confidence in how hard he is yanking to get pieces out. All you need is

=> 07 mm socket
=> 10 mm socket
=> t15
=> Phillips
=> Small flat blade screwdriver

I have a trim removal tool I got at autozone for $10 for the pack and that helps with not scratching anything. The plastic staple gun was under $100 and the JB Weld plastic epoxy was $4.99. If I had to take it out again I could do it in 45mins tops. First time took about 2 hours because I went slow and stopped the video along the way. I let the epoxy sit overnight but it only needs one hour to set up. Putting it in was about 1.5 hours but I also cleaned all the trim pieces before putting it back in.

If you have a power rachet like this it helps a great deal but it is not necessary

power ratchet .jpg

Definitely, disconnect the battery first there are a lot of connectors to pull apart, that is what the small flat blade is for. You can move the shifter with the key in after disconnecting the battery.

If you take your time it is an easy 1 :party36: job and it is under $150 with the plastic staple gun and supplies. If you get the power rachet it is an additional $150.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As described in video, you only see hair lines. Looking at mine, thats a big improvement. Definitely looking forward to your feedback to see how well it takes over time

OP
OP
Costal_Cat

Costal_Cat

Reaction score
As described in video, you only see hair lines. Looking at mine, thats a big improvement. Definitely looking forward to your feedback to see how well it takes over time

Yep exactly much better than it was. If it holds it works and is cheaper then a replacement. Plus I find now that I have done this anything I need to do in the dash area I'm comfortable with. I will post an update after 1,000 miles...

OP
OP
Costal_Cat

Costal_Cat

Reaction score
How do you know how far to imbed the staple?

What if you heat it up and you go to deep?

Just asking. Great job.

Thanks! I see your in NC I'm down on the coast in EI

Yea that was the tricky part. I first tested with some other material to get a feel for how fast this heated up. It does have a heat adjustment dial so you can tweak it a little with that. What I found is that if you lay the staple on the surface pull the trigger to start the heat as soon as it starts to melt let off the trigger and then wait 10-15 secs for it to cool and that worked fine. This was at the 1/2 mark on the heat dial. Once you get a couple done you kinda get a feel for it and can move pretty quickly.. My wife actually brought me a shelf from the fridge and I was able to repair that so I have wife approval of the tool purchase which is always a good thing!

Oh, and the tool comes with several staple types for flat and curved surfaces so you have a lot of choices.

Unit171

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been looking at doing this on my wife’s Tahoe. Thanks for the posts

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really need to do this repair. My concern is my Dash is so broken it may not come out whole.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9