Coolant change question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4WDTRK

sleeps in garage
Reaction score
Gearing up to change coolant soon. Book says the system holds 16.7 quarts (roughly 4 gallons). I plan to drain the radiator using the drain petcock then refill with distilled water, cycle system, drain again, repeat until clear/water only, then refill with straight dexcool. What I'm wondering is how much coolant/water stays in the system with only a radiator drain? Knowing that will make it easy to add enough straight dexcool to get it close to 50/50 mix. Any other tips are appreciated. Thanks!

retiredsparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't you just measure the amount you drain from the radiator? If you measure 3 gallons drained, put in 2 gallons of antifreeze plus 1 of water.

OP
OP
4WDTRK

4WDTRK

sleeps in garage
Reaction score
Yea that's what i figured I'd do. Was just curious so I know what to expect. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

mizzouguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I did mine, when I drained the system the final time after using just water several times, I added roughly 60% of the systems total capacity as straight dex-cool, then topped off with straight water. That way I know its right, and slightly on the strong side. 60/40.

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull the lower hose, it will drain the engine way better and quicker.

OP
OP
4WDTRK

4WDTRK

sleeps in garage
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip I was looking at the lower hose as an option too. Thought maybe the the petcock would be cleaner as far as drain spills, but if I'll drain more from the lower hose so be it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia