cooki3mnster's build - The Black Pearl

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
cooki3mnster

cooki3mnster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately no updates on the Yukon lately. Had to spend my extra Yukon brake money on brakes for the wanna be racecar. Took it out to a show this weekend and the brakes feel like they are grinding. Need to swap pass side rotors and pads to get ready for the Run Through the Canyon coming up in 2 weeks.

OP
OP
cooki3mnster

cooki3mnster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally an update! Yesterday I did the NNBS brake upgrade. Loaded the new calipers with EBC Greenstuff 7000 pads, and matched them with EBC dimpled and slotted rotors, with Classic Tube Stainless brakes lines. I was unable to replace the center rear brake line because the spare tire is stuck and I can't get it to drop down. Still going through the bed in process but the brake feel is great. I will say after seeing the swamp water that came out of the brake hoses while bleeding it is time for a full brake flush.

C7C595A9-8024-4BA9-9B34-3F6D97BBACDD.jpeg

73CFD505-D508-42F1-8C19-9821A172A9D4.jpeg

AEDFC1BC-4FD9-4CDD-8743-1EC2ECBD2DB5.jpeg

Attachments

• 34CA0509-75BC-44DA-A5D8-5EE286F914FA.jpeg
    34CA0509-75BC-44DA-A5D8-5EE286F914FA.jpeg
    546.6 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
cooki3mnster

cooki3mnster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! After seeing the GMT900 rotors the GMT800 ones look so small and wimpy. After putting about 200 miles on them over the past 2 days I am thoroughly sold on the upgrade. The GMT800 brakes really fill out the wheels I have and look so good. Now I really need some 20's to show them off properly.

These are the part numbers I used:

EBC S3KF1195 - Front rotors and Brake pads kit
EBC GD7214 - Rear Rotors
EBC DP61635 - Rear Pads
Bracketed Calipers from O'reilys - 18B4918A, and 18B4919A
Classic Tube Stainless Brake lines - SBH6057

All told I am in to this swap about $1,100. The EBC components hands down being the most expensive part. The pair of calipers was about $200, and the brake lines were $179. If someone wanted to they could easily get this done for between $300-400 by getting parts from a junkyard/U Pull it. If its time for brakes I HIGHLY recommend the swap.

OP
OP
cooki3mnster

cooki3mnster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys!

Back with a bit of an update, I have started converting the switches in the Black Pearl to white LEDs. So far the steering wheel, and rear windshield switch are done. I'm waiting on a new desoldering tool to show up so I can to the rest of the switches. I'm also oredring parts to modify/rebuild the gauge cluster. I found DougAmiller's post about changing the EEPROM programming to allow for the use of the Trans Temp gauge and there is some great info there. I have an EEPROM programmer from an old Edelbrock EFI system I used and it "should" work.

I went to the local Pick n Pull to find a 5.3 for a rebuild and for a swap in to the Chevelle. While I was there I also scored an Escalade Rear Glass hatch with third brake light and a pair of appliques and got them for $80! Got them sanded down with 600 and sprayed with high build primer. Need to run over to the local Finishmaster and get some paint and clear to match the truck. I will have to send out the third brake light for repair, only have the LEDS work. I found a guy back east that will make the repairs on the brake light for me and I'm super stoked on it.

I did find that my rear defroster and rear wiper were not working. I did some troubleshooting and found some butchery in the rear hatch to body wiring. I scored a replacement harness and wiper motor at PnP. Now the wiper is working but the defroster isn't there is a break acorss the traces and no continuity. Luckily I scored that Esky glass and that tested good.

Other than all that have been driving the Pearl everywhere. I even got 17.72 mpg out of the old girl over Thanksgiving!

66087025214--C3B427C9-B86B-4E4A-A3AE-210C40D22D29.jpg66087027560--8C141015-D4F4-439A-970E-FD9F07D161BD.jpgIMG-1436.jpg

IMG-1440.jpg

IMG-1442.jpg

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys!

Back with a bit of an update, I have started converting the switches in the Black Pearl to white LEDs. So far the steering wheel, and rear windshield switch are done. I'm waiting on a new desoldering tool to show up so I can to the rest of the switches. I'm also oredring parts to modify/rebuild the gauge cluster. I found DougAmiller's post about changing the EEPROM programming to allow for the use of the Trans Temp gauge and there is some great info there. I have an EEPROM programmer from an old Edelbrock EFI system I used and it "should" work.

I went to the local Pick n Pull to find a 5.3 for a rebuild and for a swap in to the Chevelle. While I was there I also scored an Escalade Rear Glass hatch with third brake light and a pair of appliques and got them for $80! Got them sanded down with 600 and sprayed with high build primer. Need to run over to the local Finishmaster and get some paint and clear to match the truck. I will have to send out the third brake light for repair, only have the LEDS work. I found a guy back east that will make the repairs on the brake light for me and I'm super stoked on it.

I did find that my rear defroster and rear wiper were not working. I did some troubleshooting and found some butchery in the rear hatch to body wiring. I scored a replacement harness and wiper motor at PnP. Now the wiper is working but the defroster isn't there is a break acorss the traces and no continuity. Luckily I scored that Esky glass and that tested good.

Other than all that have been driving the Pearl everywhere. I even got 17.72 mpg out of the old girl over Thanksgiving!

View attachment 358137View attachment 358138View attachment 358139

View attachment 358140

View attachment 358141
Whoever reworked that harness was no good at wiring repair. Hope they didn’t work on any other wiring.

OP
OP
cooki3mnster

cooki3mnster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whoever reworked that harness was no good at wiring repair. Hope they didn’t work on any other wiring.
So far that is the only hack job I have found wiring wise. I’m just happy I got rid of that fire hazard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645