Converted CJ2 automatic climate to CJ3 manual controls

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know on these trucks. but on a c6 it can make setup changes, like if you have active suspension or not. some guys have added and used the tech 2 to go into setup and configure the options.

maybe something like that?

OP
OP
mikez71

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couldn't find any special functions on the Tech2 other than afterblow and recalibration and some temp display option which doesn't work and says I selected the wrong vehicle.

I notice the automatic HVAC can either be BEHR *or* DELPHI, the actuators are outiside of box on the BEHR, inside of box for DELPHI. The manual HVAC has *only!* DELPHI, mine were/are BEHR. The actuators are located on the OPPOSITE side! If you do not have the actuators located on the inside, you may need a donor rear box..

BUT I wonder if the '08 wiring manual showing the var/src and ref/rtn circuits flipped would work??. They may have been planning for a behr manual setup, but actual production omitted behr..

Last edited:

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can look up the 08 manual hvac if you want to look.

I hope it didn't fry anything, but if there's a pwm output or 5v output that got 12v put into it. that would toast a fett ******.

OP
OP
mikez71

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, those wires weren't really changed, shouldn't have fried anything near as I can tell!?

Ordered a couple actuators and will check the actuator wiring when puttin them in..

---UPDATE---

removed ducts to watch actuator doors.
doing recalibration, everything moved smoothly, full range of motion.

watching tech2 info, when changing rear mode, actual was inverted from commanded.
Example 0 commanded would be 255 actual, 255 commanded was 0 actual position.

Hoping this is as simple as swapping polarity on a couple wires. I have old actuators out to do some testing.
I really wonder if this has to do with the wiring diagram difference between Behr/Delphi in the '08 factory diagrams.

Last edited:

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so looking at the modules in my car today on the sps software. I did see some how the option to program or configure/setup. I don't remember exactly the wording. I will have it in my yukon in a few days or so. I'll try too check what options it gives.

OP
OP
mikez71

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so looking at the modules in my car today on the sps software. I did see some how the option to program or configure/setup. I don't remember exactly the wording. I will have it in my yukon in a few days or so. I'll try too check what options it gives.
awesome! Thank you!

I haven't messed with the wiring anymore figuring it should be correct. (Other than that one wiring diagram discrepancy...)
According to the free repair website, the manual HVAC's should all be using the DELPHI ductwork, but if wiring and actuators are the same, I don't see why it doesn't work.
The only thing I can think of, is if the Delphi ducts have a different range of motion than the Behr.
I do notice some vehicles have the manual roof mounted climate controls. Probably overthinking things at this point..

Perhaps it is a programming thing. The rear temp adjustment being +0 to +12 seems odd to me..
*IF* programming, I would guess it's the integrated rear seat audio module..
Unless the BCM is a go between. Say the rear controls send signals that BCM reads, before spitting out a new signal to the main HVAC module..

Last edited:

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel like there's gotta be a configure or programming of some sort to make this work.

I have been to busy to get to my yukon. but a few of the modules I updated on my car had the option to program or configure. and my c6 will go into configure with the tech 2 on the bcm. like I can select the mag ride or not from it.

OP
OP
mikez71

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No options i could configure in the Tech2 for rear audio..Will check bcm next time but im pretty sure I looked before.

I might try disconnecting Rear controls to test, like a ppv. Though ultimately I will want the rear controls installed.

Certainly must work somehow..

tried moving old actuators with a 9v, no dice. Will power the motor directly, but doesnt budge when powering pins 5(+) and 7(-), or 5 and 6+7.

Last edited:

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No options i could configure in the Tech2 for rear audio..Will check bcm next time but im pretty sure I looked before.

I might try disconnecting Rear controls to test, like a ppv. Though ultimately I will want the rear controls installed.

Certainly must work somehow..

tried moving old actuators with a 9v, no dice. Will power the motor directly, but doesnt budge when powering pins 5(+) and 7(-), or 5 and 6+7.

I seem to remember there's a bench test in the manual where you can test the motors. I'll have to look that up again. I got a fault code for one of mine, it never lit a light and seems to work fine, but when I happened to scan the whole truck it came up with a temp actuator code, even thou the temp control works. so I was reading about them.

OP
OP
mikez71

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe you had an old stored code? I will try again with 12v before too long..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan