Control arm torque specs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I swapped out my rear end. I have also been rebuilding front suspension.

However having hard time finding torque specs for control arms. My chiltons manual does not go into that detail.

Anybody know control arm torque specs front and rear upper and lower for

2001 z71 tahoe?

Thx

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
140 ft lbs for upper control arms
130 ft bs for bottom control arms

just make sure you have the bushings loaded before you torque them down to proper spec, otherwise, you will tear them or that is the theory.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
just make sure you have the bushings loaded before you torque them down to proper spec, otherwise, you will tear them or that is the theory.

Absolutely true

Stock rubber bushings don't actually rotate. They flex. The inner metal liner is held stationary with the through-bolt. The outer metal liner is held fixed relative to the control arm. Any rotational motion is provided by the flexing of the rubber. At ride height (on ground), you want the net rotational force on the bushing to be zero.

Other info: This flexing vs. pivoting property is why factory bushings don't need to be greased. Aftermarket poly bushings provide a stiffer connection as there's no rubber taking up the motion - they slide. But that same property is what makes them prone to squeaking, and require periodic lubrication. They're similar in principle to a ball joint, while the stock ones are closer to that of a spring

YukonXLMan

Reaction score
140 ft lbs for upper control arms
130 ft bs for bottom control arms

Would this be the same specs for a 2017 Yukon XL? needing to replace part number and want to be sure I'm torquing to specs.
Arm Asm-R/Axl Lwr Cont - GM (22868629)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh