Consensus on Cold Oil Changes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have always done hot oil changes. When I was running shops, if we pulled in a customer's vehicle for an oil change, we let it run for 5 minutes before draining. Like @homesick said, that gets everything suspended in the oil and drains out more efficiently. It is just the way I was taught and I continue to this day. Also, less chance of old oil mixing with new oil. The importance of a good quality filter, like WIX, cannot be stressed enough.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always do mine hot but I have quick drains that I just screw the hose on and it drains out o]without having to remove the drain plug. I pull the filter after it cools down though since that's always when I would spill hot oil on myself. I will have to check next time if pulling the filter results in a few more drips out of the pan since I leave that drain hose connected until the filter is changed. I was always taught to change oil hot and I'm too old to change now.

easymoney

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I always have done it cold and let it drip…i figured i didnt want old oil up in the motor and leaving it over night to drip down inside motor into pan was what i wanted to do. after it stops dripping i put the plug in it and put 1/4 -1/2 quart of fresh oil in and pull the plug after a minute or two. Might see a little dirty oil come out but its probably not woth it. its rare that anything else comes out. I do see the point of the particles more suspended in the oil because of the motor was running but dont see the issue of oil being hot or cold as a factor. I live in texas so oil is always dripping fine. If you live somewhere cold it might make a difference though no experience with that.

steve45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hot oil changes are an old wives tale. Sludge sticks to the pan, it doesn't float around in the oil. And if it did, the filter is supposed to catch it.

I've been doing cold oil changes for about the last 30 years and run most of my vehicles to about 300K, no problems.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I would say the vast majority of oil changes happen hot or warm anyway. One thing I just thought was the first “cold” start of the day is the hardest as the oil has drained back more over time. That said I wonder about that cold start with less “prime”…
But, if you pre-fill your filter there shouldn’t be much difference.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hot oil changes are an old wives tale. Sludge sticks to the pan, it doesn't float around in the oil. And if it did, the filter is supposed to catch it.

I've been doing cold oil changes for about the last 30 years and run most of my vehicles to about 300K, no problems.
This here.
I didnt get the Silvy from the father in law until 394k miles. He being the slow "older" guy did them cold so he wouldnt get burned. So hot isnt necessarily getting more contaminated stuff out. Maybe before oil quality got better in the late 80s early 90s it made a difference

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Doesn't matter.

Doing it hot only counts for lab analysis, with the goal being to exclude erroneous moisture contamination / fuel contamination from pulling the thing into the garage.

If you read internet advice about stirring up the oil to make sure you get particulates out and believe this applies to you, I'd carefully evaluate your maintenance habits and why you'd allow solids to build up in a liquid system.