Clunking noise after some gravel roads?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the front driver side is the one that looks the most suspicious. Your tire changing jack on just the driver front would be sufficient . Just trying to get some load off the link. Then do the same on the passenger side. If one is bad, you’re replacing both of them. They are pretty inexpensive. Actually, I would recommend you just plan on replacing them anyways because if they are not broken, they are well on their way.
My dad swears that that is what my clunking noise is that is happening random and intermittently. He says I don’t need a jack and I should be able to use an angle grinder with a cutting wheel to just cut them out and then put the new ones and he said it’s a five minute job each side.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My dad swears that that is what my clunking noise is that is happening random and intermittently. He says I don’t need a jack and I should be able to use an angle grinder with a cutting wheel to just cut them out and then put the new ones and he said it’s a five minute job each side.
He’s not wrong.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@wjburken and it’s not the tire changing jack for my Tahoe. It’s for my 2010 focus but ya I have two of em

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where can I place the Jack to lift the whole front end? Cross member?
You don’t need to jack the entire front end up. Definitely not if you don’t have good jack stands or a proper floor jack.

However, I have lifted on the front cross member when I’ve had the appropriate equipment.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don’t need to jack the entire front end up. Definitely not if you don’t have good jack stands or a proper floor jack.

However, I have lifted on the front cross member when I’ve had the appropriate equipment.
This all seems like a lot I think I’m just gonna take it to the shop. I don’t even have all the proper stuff to do this.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This all seems like a lot I think I’m just gonna take it to the shop. I don’t even have all the proper stuff to do this.
Seriously, take the money you would pay for labor at the shop and buy some tools. Borrow the rest and start building up your arsenal. You can even find good deals on used stuff on Facebook market place

The sway bar links are $15.00 a piece so $30 in parts and some borrowed tools and some time, you’ll be back in business. Or you can spend $150 at a shop and still not have tools for the next thing that needs fixed.

Trust me, when you’re short on cash, you need to get better at doing things yourself. I fixed a lot of stuff with garage sale tools when I was younger. Still have most of them or have passed them down to my kids.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elepere