2500 series front end clunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...and put a very light coat of grease on the driveshaft spline (costs nothing to try) and while I was in the vicinity changed the trans mount (what the heck, it was only $16).
Dexron VI and your transfer case doesn't take kindly to grease, it'll clog up the pump. The clunk you describe is most often the driver's side motor mount and could also be one of the two mounts for the front differential.

A $16 motor mount sounds like aftermarket, mine was 3X that for GM OE.

OP
OP
T

TrybalRage

Reaction score
Dexron VI and your transfer case doesn't take kindly to grease, it'll clog up the pump. The clunk you describe is most often the driver's side motor mount and could also be one of the two mounts for the front differential.

A $16 motor mount sounds like aftermarket, mine was 3X that for GM OE.

It was a very light amount of grease as a test, I'm not too concerned about it.

Also, that price was for a trans mount, not a motor mount. And yes, it was aftermarket.

How about the Intermediate Steering Shaft?
When I went under the hood and tried to give it a shake, it had very little movement. At least compared to what I've seen on youtube.

Since greasing the steering bits and changing the trans mount, I did ~120 mile round trip with half of that towing my ~6k lb boat home. Only clunked twice that I really noticed. So it's still much improved but not gone. The clunk(s) happened while on throttle, straight line, accelerating uphill when I hit a dip in the road.

OP
OP
T

TrybalRage

Reaction score
Oh, I know, that's the point I wanted to make. GM OE engine mounts are about a Benjamin each.

What condition are your jounce bumpers?

Maybe they're different for a 2500 series, but the GM mounts are under $45 on rockauto, I guess that's why I was confused.

Jounce bumpers? Not familiar with that term. Bumpstops? They're all there but a bit cracked. Look original.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe they're different for a 2500 series, but the GM mounts are under $45 on rockauto, I guess that's why I was confused.

Jounce bumpers? Not familiar with that term. Bumpstops? They're all there but a bit cracked. Look original.
Cool, I just looked on RA and they are $64.79 (engine mount), the price has surely come down. Transmission mount is still about the same, $43.89. Yes, bump stops and jounce bumpers are the same.

I mentioned them as maybe the suspension is bottoming out, mine were worn and cracked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout

Latest posts