Check Your Lug Nuts!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just had new tires put on my sons car at a local Farm and Fleet. I was standing at the window watching the guy work and he walked into the waiting room with the torque wrench and showed me what it was set at. First time that’s happened.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just had new tires put on my sons car at a local Farm and Fleet. I was standing at the window watching the guy work and he walked into the waiting room with the torque wrench and showed me what it was set at. First time that’s happened.

Used to buy a lot of stuff at Farm & Fleet in Ottawa, Illinois, when I worked near there as a cable tech. Tires and batteries for the car, and every payday I'd go get a few more tools to fill the toolbox. When we'd visit my mom and sister in Peoria we'd visit the one in Morton.

kentman

Reaction score
Curious to know what you end up with next - and if the ownership experience truly works out for the better?

Since the Yukon purchase, I have bought two new Honda sedans new off the lot. We have got an '18 Accord in '18, and a '22 Civic EX in '21, both North American car of the year from NACTOY in 2018 and 2022. They are both an amazing value.

No issues on either ride really worth noting thus far.

I will note that the windshield is not thick enough on the Accord. I have had insurance replace two of them already along with camera recalibrations. These type of chips would have not ruined the window on the Yukon or my prior Jeeps, but they kill the Accord windows.

Because insurance has covered the windows, I do not really worry about those. My deductible was $100 on each. I have since dropped the deductible to $0 after the second windshield.

The ride, handling, build quality, fuel efficiency, etc. is a much better proposition with Honda.

I am going to try to stay out of the near three ton SUV market in the future. That will continue to allow me to go with others like Honda. I will try to carry the Yukon over 200K miles if it will make it without too much repair costs. After that, I am team Japan or maybe South Korea or Germany. No electrics for me.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We bought our Tahoe a month ago this Thurs. It’s a Premier with the 22” wheels. We bought it with 5 miles on the clock and now have a little over 500. I walked out of a store tonight and noticed a lug nut missing from the passenger side rear wheel. I got the truck home and found another 4 on different wheels all loose to different degrees. I’ve bought a lot of new cars and never had an issue like this.

My wifes high country came with 22” wheels that have covers over the lug nuts. We swapped out the rubber at discount tire as soon as she bought it. A day or two later she said i am hearing some very loud noises, sounds like its coming from the rear end. She called the dealer and they told her not to drive it and get it towed in. As soon as she backed down in the driveway i was like it sounds like you have a lug nut off behind the cover. Sure as shit. One had completely fallen off and was bouncing around, making a very obnoxious noise at times when it became dislodged between the other lug nuts. I of course popped off the other 3 covers to check the rest of the lug nuts…found a few more that were very loose.

I guess the point of my story is just because you take it to a shop you think should be completely capable of torquing down the lug nuts properly, it is not a bad idea to double check. I guess the same goes with a brand new rig off the lot.

slupie

Reaction score
My wifes high country came with 22” wheels that have covers over the lug nuts. We swapped out the rubber at discount tire as soon as she bought it. A day or two later she said i am hearing some very loud noises, sounds like its coming from the rear end. She called the dealer and they told her not to drive it and get it towed in. As soon as she backed down in the driveway i was like it sounds like you have a lug nut off behind the cover. Sure as shit. One had completely fallen off and was bouncing around, making a very obnoxious noise at times when it became dislodged between the other lug nuts. I of course popped off the other 3 covers to check the rest of the lug nuts…found a few more that were very loose.

I guess the point of my story is just because you take it to a shop you think should be completely capable of torquing down the lug nuts properly, it is not a bad idea to double check. I guess the same goes with a brand new rig off the lot.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since the Yukon purchase, I have bought two new Honda sedans new off the lot. We have got an '18 Accord in '18, and a '22 Civic EX in '21, both North American car of the year from NACTOY in 2018 and 2022. They are both an amazing value.

No issues on either ride really worth noting thus far.

I will note that the windshield is not thick enough on the Accord. I have had insurance replace two of them already along with camera recalibrations. These type of chips would have not ruined the window on the Yukon or my prior Jeeps, but they kill the Accord windows.

Because insurance has covered the windows, I do not really worry about those. My deductible was $100 on each. I have since dropped the deductible to $0 after the second windshield.

The ride, handling, build quality, fuel efficiency, etc. is a much better proposition with Honda.

I am going to try to stay out of the near three ton SUV market in the future. That will continue to allow me to go with others like Honda. I will try to carry the Yukon over 200K miles if it will make it without too much repair costs. After that, I am team Japan or maybe South Korea or Germany. No electrics for me.

Consider that you are giving up a level of safety by daily driving those little cars. Before they re-arranged their website, the IIHS showed that my 2009 Yukon XL has ZERO fatalities after all these years. Now they lump it in with other years but the number is still very low, they are very safe vehicles compared to those little roller skates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21 tots hoes Z71