Check Your Lug Nuts!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SteveW

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We bought our Tahoe a month ago this Thurs. It’s a Premier with the 22” wheels. We bought it with 5 miles on the clock and now have a little over 500. I walked out of a store tonight and noticed a lug nut missing from the passenger side rear wheel. I got the truck home and found another 4 on different wheels all loose to different degrees. I’ve bought a lot of new cars and never had an issue like this.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We bought our Tahoe a month ago this Thurs. It’s a Premier with the 22” wheels. We bought it with 5 miles on the clock and now have a little over 500. I walked out of a store tonight and noticed a lug nut missing from the passenger side rear wheel. I got the truck home and found another 4 on different wheels all loose to different degrees. I’ve bought a lot of new cars and never had an issue like this.

We regularly spot check ours, about 100 miles after a tire rotation or removal for any reason. 140 foot pounds. Then again, maybe someone was trying to steal them.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aren’t all 22” rims installed at the dealerships? They usually come with black steel wheels.
Go back to dealership to get replacement and couple free oil changes

They are. I believe lugs are supposed to be retorqued after a few hundred miles - not that most people do that.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are. I believe lugs are supposed to be retorqued after a few hundred miles - not that most people do that.

No, not all 22" wheels are installed at the dealer. Yes, it is always a good idea to recheck the torque on the lug nuts but no one does.

kentman

Reaction score
140 foot pounds.

140 ft*lb sounds like a lot. I usually do 115 ft*lb on the 18" rims if I remember correctly. Must be a 22" thing. Smaller rim size is better. Extra un-sprung weight is the enemy of power delivery, ride quality and replacement tire cost. With the higher torques, you run the risk of rotor warping.

Ever since I started doing my own rotations decades ago, I have yet to lose a lug nut. Whenever someone else does work on my vehicle, I always do a follow up check. More often than not, I find problems. Trust but verify.

I never retorque aluminum rims as was noted here, and I have never had an issue. All my rims are always aluminum.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
140 ft*lb sounds like a lot. I usually do 115 ft*lb on the 18" rims if I remember correctly. Must be a 22" thing. Smaller rim size is better. Extra un-sprung weight is the enemy of power delivery, ride quality and replacement tire cost. With the higher torques, you run the risk of rotor warping.

Ever since I started doing my own rotations decades ago, I have yet to lose a lug nut. Whenever someone else does work on my vehicle, I always do a follow up check. More often than not, I find problems. Trust but verify.

I never retorque aluminum rims as was noted here, and I have never had an issue. All my rims are always aluminum.
Where did you come up with 115 ft/lbs? Specs for our trucks is 140 ft/lbs for all years. If you don’t believe the specs, here’s the values on Alldatadiy for my 02 and 08.
Also, it doesn’t matter if your rims are aluminum or any other material, they should be checked after a few miles but like mentioned nobody does.

8F60CCDB-15B3-4976-91AC-A49BA6EF5000.jpeg 3A69DB01-49A5-41FD-BCF9-116B2A9B56DA.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins