Check Your Lug Nuts!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. I checked mine a few minutes ago and 10 of the 24 lug nuts were less than 140 foot pounds. They were not super loose but I am guessing they were around 100-120 foot pounds.

Last edited:

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Last year I was a witness to someone losing their wheel while they were driving. The tire bounced down the road. Not a pretty sight!

Definitely keep both the 18’s and 22’s torqued to 140 ft lbs. And always double check them after 100 miles after removing them.

kentman

Reaction score
Where did you come up with 115 ft/lbs?

I stand corrected. My bad. I just checked the owner's manual, and it surely is 140 ft*lbs as you stated. I have been udertorquing my wheels by 25 ft*lbs for years, apparently. Thank you for setting me straight on that one.

Never had an issue using 115 ft*lbs, but I will be sure to go home and retorque them tonight and every time going forward.

I started torquing at that wrong magnitude many years ago. At this point, I have no idea where that wrong number came from, but it stuck in my head. My sedan is 80 ft*lbs. The Yukon calls for almost double? That seems like too much to me.

I worry about excessive torque on the rotors. I have installed zinc-coated, aftermarket slotted and drilled rotors. I would hate to warp them prematurely. They wear out fast enough already. I am getting about 50K to 60K miles of wear out of them. The slots and the chamfers on the drilled holes begin to disappear pretty quickly. I have had distinct rapid warping issues on my prior Jeeps.

kentman

Reaction score
as an engineer

I too am an engineer (Licensed Professional Engineer / Mechanical). I find that GM engineers do a miserable job often. I second guess their engineers all the time. They are pushing cost-out and cheap parts from overseas or Mexico to improve profits. I have had at least one GM product in my garage continuously for the last 28 years. Build quality is very suspect, and that gets back to engineers and sourcing.

The Yukon will probably be my last GM purchase. I have already spent over $2500 in three separate visits to the dealer on A/C issues. Both of my fancy LED tail lights had stopped working properly within five years. I just had the vacuum pump replaced under the new extended safety recall warranty. These things should not happen within five years on a $70K ride.

I grew up in Michigan, and everyone around me worked for and bought Big 3 products. I worked in fuel pump manufacturing during college in the summers. My allegiances to domestic auto makers have died. I want to love them, but they just continue to let me down.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I stand corrected. My bad. I just checked the owner's manual, and it surely is 140 ft*lbs as you stated. I have been udertorquing my wheels by 25 ft*lbs for years, apparently. Thank you for setting me straight on that one.

Never had an issue using 115 ft*lbs, but I will be sure to go home and retorque them tonight and every time going forward.

I started torquing at that wrong magnitude many years ago. At this point, I have no idea where that wrong number came from, but it stuck in my head. My sedan is 80 ft*lbs. The Yukon calls for almost double? That seems like too much to me.

I worry about excessive torque on the rotors. I have installed zinc-coated, aftermarket slotted and drilled rotors. I would hate to warp them prematurely. They wear out fast enough already. I am getting about 50K to 60K miles of wear out of them. The slots and the chamfers on the drilled holes begin to disappear pretty quickly. I have had distinct rapid warping issues on my prior Jeeps.
As far as warping rotors, just don’t use an impact gun and go in a circle with it. Use a torque wrench and tighten in a cross pattern.

Holy Roller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too am an engineer (Licensed Professional Engineer / Mechanical). I find that GM engineers do a miserable job often. I second guess their engineers all the time. They are pushing cost-out and cheap parts from overseas or Mexico to improve profits. I have had at least one GM product in my garage continuously for the last 28 years. Build quality is very suspect, and that gets back to engineers and sourcing.

The Yukon will probably be my last GM purchase. I have already spent over $2500 in three separate visits to the dealer on A/C issues. Both of my fancy LED tail lights had stopped working properly within five years. I just had the vacuum pump replaced under the new extended safety recall warranty. These things should not happen within five years on a $70K ride.

I grew up in Michigan, and everyone around me worked for and bought Big 3 products. I worked in fuel pump manufacturing during college in the summers. My allegiances to domestic auto makers have died. I want to love them, but they just continue to let me down.
Curious to know what you end up with next - and if the ownership experience truly works out for the better?

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the opposite happen. A discount tire shop (non big name) installed new tires and their monkey hammered away with his air impact gun. Stripped a couple studs and nuts. I discovered this when I went to rotate the wheels myself. Took a 4 ft pipe with my 230 lbs jumping on it to break them loose. I would have been in big trouble if I was in the woods without a pipe or reception.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Had mine rotated and balanced a few weeks ago. Got home, broke 'em loose, and re-torqued them to 140 lb-ft. They were pretty close, but I never trust them to be right. I'm about due to check them since I have put maybe 100 or so miles on it since.

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've also found the lug nuts loose on my aluminum 20's. Ever since I tell the tire guys "I want to see you hand torque them with your torque wrench".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak