Check Your Lug Nuts!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^^^Agree^^^^^

140 ft-lbs on lug nuts is spec for these rigs. I always find it interesting, as an engineer, how people will discount things like this that are directly related to the vehicles safety and think they are smarter than all the engineers that the auto makers employ given the fact that many folks don't truly understand the science behind torqueing a fastener.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^^Agree^^^^^

140 ft-lbs on lug nuts is spec for these rigs. I always find it interesting, as an engineer, how people will discount things like this that are directly related to the vehicles safety and think they are smarter than all the engineers that the auto makers employ given the fact that many folks don't truly understand the science behind torqueing a fastener.

Because people don’t understand how things actually work. They think because GM “makes mistakes” that the engineers are stupid and don’t know anything.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We regularly spot check ours, about 100 miles after a tire rotation or removal for any reason. 140 foot pounds. Then again, maybe someone was trying to steal them.
I take my wheels off and on all the time so I only tighten to 100. I use to only tighten to 80 lbs. until I noticed they were starting to get loose.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’re joking, right?
Totally serious. I don't Tow or Haul or have any kids in the truck and don't drive that many miles. Never had any problems till this summer so I bumped it up to 100. 140 is what is Recommended. I have my own thoughts on this and not only do I check my Lugs often but keep a breaker bar with a 22mm deep socket in my truck at all times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01