Changing to a non computer controlled engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

3Bignewfiedogs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does anybody know, can you put a non computer controlled engine into a 2001 Denali and still have the AWD work? My current 6.0 with 220k miles is starting to shows signs it is headed to the great round-up in the sky. I have a stroked 383 that I was going to put into my 77 Nova Rally but if I can put it into the Denali and have the AWD work, I'd rather do that. I hate having AWD since I can't select what and when I want to 4x4 however, changing to the selectable 4x4 (like on my Silverado) is way too expensive. At least until I can find a donor vehicle for cheap/free then I can swap it over. But for now, my concern is the engine and having ,my options ready for whenever it finally goes. My son, also a mechanic (and he refuses to be called a technician, he actually can diagnose a vehicle without referring to a computer for everything lol) has suggested putting in the 383 and changing the trans to an older 350 hydro with an electric or manual transfer case. This allows me to select 4x4 at my choosing however, I won't be able to lock the front axles since there is no solenoid on this AWS. Thanks for any suggestions.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon. I agree with @swathdiver.

By the way, after 35+ years in the auto repair industry I learned to call my wrencher's techs but most still preferred the word mechanic. That is what they grew up being called and that is what they like. I was told by a mechanic once that the difference is that mechanic's get dirty and techs wear white coats.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know, can you put a non computer controlled engine into a 2001 Denali and still have the AWD work? My current 6.0 with 220k miles is starting to shows signs it is headed to the great round-up in the sky. I have a stroked 383 that I was going to put into my 77 Nova Rally but if I can put it into the Denali and have the AWD work, I'd rather do that. I hate having AWD since I can't select what and when I want to 4x4 however, changing to the selectable 4x4 (like on my Silverado) is way too expensive. At least until I can find a donor vehicle for cheap/free then I can swap it over. But for now, my concern is the engine and having ,my options ready for whenever it finally goes. My son, also a mechanic (and he refuses to be called a technician, he actually can diagnose a vehicle without referring to a computer for everything lol) has suggested putting in the 383 and changing the trans to an older 350 hydro with an electric or manual transfer case. This allows me to select 4x4 at my choosing however, I won't be able to lock the front axles since there is no solenoid on this AWS. Thanks for any suggestions.

There's so much more than just having a running engine that relies on the complete electronic system. You'd be opening up one hell of a can of worms, but it's not impossible. As James said, rebuild or swap in a new long block and be done with it, plug-and-play. No loss of anything and no major reconstruction just to have a functioning vehicle.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
assuming your state allows this kind of swap? or was this not part of the your project not put up for discussion. your basically removing everything emissions related by doing this swap and is frowned upon most places. i know everything is up for debate when more power is desired but have you looked into your state laws regarding this swap? depending on where your at in my state(pa) you would never get an inspection sticker on it. well through legitimate methods atleast as certain counties require emissions testing. with no engine hooked up to the computer it would be an automatic fail. id save that 383 for the vehicle it was meant for and if you really want more out of your truck pull the engine and have it worked over and rebuilt. a good reputable shop can easily handle getting more power from it and keep it mild to keep reliability in the mix.

OP
OP

3Bignewfiedogs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Might all that work be more work and time than simply rebuilding or tossing in a used engine?
A reman engine is about $4k here and a junk yard engine is $3500 w/a $400 core charge (WTF, a core at auto wrecker???). And to rebuild will cost about $3000. I spent $6500 building this 383 and seems like a good use for the Yukon money wise. As long as changes that may need to be made don't go over what a reman/used/rebuild would cost. and more power/easier to fix in the future too. Thanks for your input.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What you will spend the most time on is adapting everything to hook up to that engine and of course "rig" many things. First thought, do the motor mounts drop right in and bolt up?

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might as well go find a 79 Suburban if you want a non-computer controlled engine.

The transmission and transfer case are computer controlled too; guess you could gut the truck and use a 700R4 trans and NP241 manual transfer case.

Again, better off with another platform for the cost and labor involved

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A reman engine is about $4k here and a junk yard engine is $3500 w/a $400 core charge (WTF, a core at auto wrecker???). And to rebuild will cost about $3000. I spent $6500 building this 383 and seems like a good use for the Yukon money wise. As long as changes that may need to be made don't go over what a reman/used/rebuild would cost. and more power/easier to fix in the future too. Thanks for your input.

I take it that this 383 is an SBC and not an LS?

ks03

Fool Excess Member
Reaction score
Someone who knows better feel free to chime in, but I was thinking a 2001 Denali had a viscous coupler in the transfer case, so you might be up to 2wheels pushing. You could add a locker or limited slip in back for 3 wheels. I thought all the NBS front axles were open diff, the “4wd” ones with the actuator are open, the solenoid just allows the right axle to be connected.
Maybe forget AWD, a little mod on the rear diff, and you might be as well off as any 4wd NBS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Franny