Changing to a non computer controlled engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive never has to use the services of a reman engine from a web company but a simple Google search for your engine brings up alot of options for used 1500-2k range or remans for 3k some listing it as free shipping and warranties to boot. but anyway back to your main question yes technically you can. however you might as well gut the entire truck as the majority of your wiring is completely useless. your ignition key is going to try to power everything up and you would be removing half of it. so nothing on your dash would work as its all routed through the computer. a custom gauge cluster would be needed or an expensive custom wiring setup with some kind of signal converter to get the computer to register what the engine is doing so it operates the factory gauges. abs is also gone as that requires signals from the factory speed sensors and probably also signals from the engine for the computer to even initialize the abs system. you mentioned 6500 for the engine you built then you going to need a transmission because the transmission you currently have in the truck wont work without the computer and the signals from the engine. the cost of completing the swap to the 383 not including the 6500 you spent on building the engine will probably come close or exceed the cost of buying a second denali.

MojoPaul

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does anybody know, can you put a non computer controlled engine into a 2001 Denali and still have the AWD work? My current 6.0 with 220k miles is starting to shows signs it is headed to the great round-up in the sky. I have a stroked 383 that I was going to put into my 77 Nova Rally but if I can put it into the Denali and have the AWD work, I'd rather do that. I hate having AWD since I can't select what and when I want to 4x4 however, changing to the selectable 4x4 (like on my Silverado) is way too expensive. At least until I can find a donor vehicle for cheap/free then I can swap it over. But for now, my concern is the engine and having ,my options ready for whenever it finally goes. My son, also a mechanic (and he refuses to be called a technician, he actually can diagnose a vehicle without referring to a computer for everything lol) has suggested putting in the 383 and changing the trans to an older 350 hydro with an electric or manual transfer case. This allows me to select 4x4 at my choosing however, I won't be able to lock the front axles since there is no solenoid on this AWS. Thanks for any suggestions.
Bad idea if you are in any way planning on having the vehicle registered for street use. What you suggest is really just like converting to the drivetrain from a mid 70 or early 80s 3/4 ton truck or burb. Better off to buy an old wheeler and put in that old school 383.

OP
OP

3Bignewfiedogs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ive never has to use the services of a reman engine from a web company but a simple Google search for your engine brings up alot of options for used 1500-2k range or remans for 3k some listing it as free shipping and warranties to boot. but anyway back to your main question yes technically you can. however you might as well gut the entire truck as the majority of your wiring is completely useless. your ignition key is going to try to power everything up and you would be removing half of it. so nothing on your dash would work as its all routed through the computer. a custom gauge cluster would be needed or an expensive custom wiring setup with some kind of signal converter to get the computer to register what the engine is doing so it operates the factory gauges. abs is also gone as that requires signals from the factory speed sensors and probably also signals from the engine for the computer to even initialize the abs system. you mentioned 6500 for the engine you built then you going to need a transmission because the transmission you currently have in the truck wont work without the computer and the signals from the engine. the cost of completing the swap to the 383 not including the 6500 you spent on building the engine will probably come close or exceed the cost of buying a second denali.

Thanks for your input. I can keep the computer up and running the vehicle, just nit the engine. My basic qustion is if the AWD take any input from the engine or just from the transmission. If from the engine, I'll have to rethink the problem. If just from the transmission and wheels, I can do the swap. I've done custom work for years. First one was putting a stroked Chevy #%0 w/a 350 Turbo transmissions, into a Pontiac Ventura wagon (read Vega). Got hooked on weird conversions with that one and have done well over 200 in my career. And if I can put my non computer controlled engine into the Yukon, I WILL rebuild the original engine at my leisure and that put it back as a later date. Therefore not having my dog vehicle out of service

2 Newfies looking regal in SUV.jpg

OP
OP

3Bignewfiedogs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Bad idea if you are in any way planning on having the vehicle registered for street use. What you suggest is really just like converting to the drivetrain from a mid 70 or early 80s 3/4 ton truck or burb. Better off to buy an old wheeler and put in that old school 383.

I HAPPEN TO LIKE THOSE OLD VEHICLES BETTER THAN MOST OF TODAY'S NANNY CARS THAT DO EVERYTHING FOR YOU AND THE DRIVER'S DON'T HAVE ANY SKILLS ANYMORE. VERY SAD. i HAVE PEOPLE TRY TO BORROW MY 81 f150 FLATBED FOR MOVING BUT CAN'T AS THEY DON'T KNOW HOW TO DRIVE A MANUAL. AND IT IS A 3 ON THE TREE WHICH MAKES IT EVEN HARDER FOR THEM TO LEARN AT LEAST i DON'T WORRY ABOUT HAVING IT STOLEN OR ANY OF MY OTHER MANUAL CARS/TRUCKS.PLUS I HATE COMPUTERS BUT HAVE LEARNED TO TOLERATE/LIVE WITH THEM. BTW, SORRY FOR THE ALL CAPS AS MY CAP LOCK IS STUCK ON.

OP
OP

3Bignewfiedogs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What you will spend the most time on is adapting everything to hook up to that engine and of course "rig" many things. First thought, do the motor mounts drop right in and bolt up?

Not an issue as I can fabricate mounts if need be. Good catch though. The trans will bolts right up to the engine so no issue there. It helps I have over 40 years wrenching and tools and welders up the Wazzu (I'm from PNW too lol). MIG, TIG, Stick, Gas and plasma so I can fab up most anything I need.

OP
OP

3Bignewfiedogs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There's so much more than just having a running engine that relies on the complete electronic system. You'd be opening up one hell of a can of worms, but it's not impossible. As James said, rebuild or swap in a new long block and be done with it, plug-and-play. No loss of anything and no major reconstruction just to have a functioning vehicle.

If you aren't retired like me, you will discover that projects like this are fun and I have nothing else to do. Well, walk the dogs and work on one of the many other vehicles around here. I'd like to keep the Yukon on the street since it is my dog hauling vehicle. I plan to rebuild the original 6.0 and throw it back in but with my non computer controlled, I can take my time and not rush to get it back online. And since I have this engine sitting here all pretty and ready to go, I figured I could drop it and rebuild my leisure over the next few months.

Deer chase looking.JPG

OP
OP

3Bignewfiedogs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Someone who knows better feel free to chime in, but I was thinking a 2001 Denali had a viscous coupler in the transfer case, so you might be up to 2wheels pushing. You could add a locker or limited slip in back for 3 wheels. I thought all the NBS front axles were open diff, the “4wd” ones with the actuator are open, the solenoid just allows the right axle to be connected.
Maybe forget AWD, a little mod on the rear diff, and you might be as well off as any 4wd NBS

Thanks. I really want to ditch the AWD and put in a selectable 4x4. I may have a 2001 Tahoe as a donor that I can just pull the wiring and front end/transfer case and be able to use 4 wheels when I want, not a $!*&%^ computer. The swapping in my non computer controlled engine and keeping the AWD working is a moot point.

OP
OP

3Bignewfiedogs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon. I agree with @swathdiver.

By the way, after 35+ years in the auto repair industry I learned to call my wrencher's techs but most still preferred the word mechanic. That is what they grew up being called and that is what they like. I was told by a mechanic once that the difference is that mechanic's get dirty and techs wear white coats.

Shared this with my son and he agreed. He works on big trucks and other large vehicles. Worked in my shop as a kid and did his first oil change in 2nd grade. He thinks technicians can't think and need a computer to tell them what to fix. He refers to them as installers and not a real mechanic. His words not mine lol. I do agree the new generation does have a hard time trouble shooting a problem unless they can use their computers.

ThisIsLivin

Reaction score
I'm all for old fashioned carburetor NA motors. But so much in you vehicle is driven of the ECM and engine feedback. You'll need to change out the fuel pump or at least come up with a ton of mods and regulator to make it work. I believe there is an extra bolt on the trans for the LS and without the bell housing will crack if you put serious power to it. Then there is the trans control. You'll spend more time and money trying to make that swap work than rebuilding what you have. There are so many companies building LS long blocks I'm sure you can find something reasonable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertoTahoe2011