Changing rotted backing plates/dust shields

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

btravis02

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Driver Side C-clip not showing

Hi folks, I'm stuck. I got the passenger side axle c-clip removed fine but the dirver side axel is not pushing in enough to expose the c-clip? Any ideas on why shaft won't provide enough play to see the clip or is there any other way to get the clip to unseat?

Thanks

oneradride

Reaction score
Well you are probably tempted to turn the axel, but I strongly recommend you don't. It may be ready to come out.. how are you trying to grab it? A magnet (for me anyways) worked the best. Needle noise and other methods can force the C-clip one way or another making it seem like you don't have the axel in far enough. You might also try tapping the axel shaft with the wheel removed, but you run the risk of knocking those spider gears out.

geddy2112

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just joined this forum yesterday. I owned my 2002 Yukon new and never took it to on the beach, yesterday, i bought new rear rotors and pads and was ready to do the install and found the driver side backing plate half rusted. So i decided to take the job further not knowing what i was into. The hardest part was paying for those backing plate. The job was pretty straight forward. One thing i did different than the OP and it may help others tackling this job is you can loosen the emergency brake cable adjuster just in front of the driver side rear wheel. Once you loosen that adjuster, you can just pull on the whole cable and remove the whole emergency cable assembly out of the backing plate.

Hope this helps.

ESV_Platinum

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thank you for the write up

i installed new dust shields (what a PITA)

they are still making all kinds of noises, sounds like part of it hitting the inside of the bell for the disc brake

any ideas? I would just rip the damn things out if they werent holding the e-brake on there

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
thank you for the write up

i installed new dust shields (what a PITA)

they are still making all kinds of noises, sounds like part of it hitting the inside of the bell for the disc brake

any ideas? I would just rip the damn things out if they werent holding the e-brake on there

Did you buy the two piece design or the one piece design. Before you put it all back together did you check for clearance?
The noise you hear could very well be the brake pads and not the backing plates if you already replaced the plates with new ones.

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is an awesome post. Once the weather cools down, I will be conducting this repair. Thanks for taking the time to provide these procedures.

RobbieX210X

Don't Hate! V Eight!
Reaction score
I know the post is a bit old but some of the photos are not displayed for me. Is it only me? The write up is great because I will be testing this soon myself I don't have the money to pay anyone and I'm getting tired of my truck chugging like a train because of these plates.

RobbieX210X

Don't Hate! V Eight!
Reaction score
Anyone ever get stuck on the bolts for the calipers? Not the outer part the part attached to the axle itself? We got one but the other already claimed one ratchet wrench.

Sent from my Vortec 350 powered droid.

RobbieX210X

Don't Hate! V Eight!
Reaction score
I just finished this project and the directions are great. I had to buy a bunch of new parts but I saved over 1000 dollars to do it myself. My truck does squeal but that should go away.

Sent from my Vortec 350 powered droid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz