Catch cans, dual vs single?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chueykooh

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello, new to the forum. I have a 22 Tahoe Z71 with the 6.2 . I just bought the UPR single valve catch can, my question is did I waste my money by not getting a dual valve to separate the clean side as well. When I looked today at my clean side line I noticed oil in the line. I only have 2,200 miles on the truck. I read they are self emptying, whatever that means. Anyone have any knowledge on this? I rarely use WOT but I do have a bit of a lead foot, and I do tow a fairly large boat (about 8,000 pounds) 1 mile from the boat storage to the launch ramp a few times every summer when taking the boat to Catalina. I also tow a couple seadoo's, but they are only about 3,500 pounds with the trailer. I read the clean side valve only really matters when towing heavy loads or WOT. I honestly know nothing when it comes to new engines with direct inject and any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I am not clear on the terminology regarding your question; however, other members on this Forum that are much more knowledgeable than me in oil catch cans will chime in.

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To my understanding dual exit cans are overkill on a regular engine unless you are planning or have a force induction engine (blower). If not a single exit is more than enough. I went with the elite can and love it.

Here is a blurb on a dual exit “but you can choose to have (2) two 1/4" Female NPT Exit Ports for Forced Induction set-ups.”

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
One oil catch can should be sufficient.

I just emptied my oil catch can a few days ago, and to date, I'm averaging 1.1 fl oz of captured oil/water every 1000 miles of driving.

H1Chester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently installed a Team RXP Catch Can system. It’s a dual can system that catches both the passenger manifold and intake side and the driver side.

IMG_4507.jpeg

IMG_4567.jpeg