Catch Can ****

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trailblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last oil change was about 2k miles ago. Truck gets a lot of remote-start time during the winter but we don’t really drive far with it as this ‘09 Tahoe has been replaced by a newer Yukon XL. I just drove 350 miles to visit family and this is what came out. This is the most I’ve ever seen since installing this can a couple years ago. It came out as a very very light trickle. I walked away for about 45 min to find this!!

5500F011-36F8-40D8-A0B2-9DE37A5A047B.jpeg

OP
OP
T

trailblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope; I believe the production date was about a month before they made the change. Looks like a fun project for the next owner. I’ve just never seen it this bad before. I checked the oil level and it’s at 3/4 off the hatched area. Must just be a shîtload of water. I bet the throttle body has a small lake past it.

Reaction score
It's winter time, condensation happens, even just in the can when it gets hot engine vapors inside it and it's cold on the outside.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a LOT of trouble with condensation. It was clogging up my PCV quite badly too, and causing lifter noise that persisted throughout a 25 minute drive to work. I finally had to remove the can on mine. The PCV is clean, and lifter noise is minimal and gone once the engine is up to temperature. I figure that once the can filled with moisture, it started to get pulled in through the PCV as the engine cooled. I'm hoping that I didn't do too much damage with moisture getting into the valve train and lifters.

Other cans might be better, I did have a cheaper one that could only hold 30-40 mL total. (I could get a full 30-40 mL in condensation overnight where I live.)

StrkAliteN

Reaction score
Last oil change was about 2k miles ago. Truck gets a lot of remote-start time during the winter but we don’t really drive far with it as this ‘09 Tahoe has been replaced by a newer Yukon XL. I just drove 350 miles to visit family and this is what came out. This is the most I’ve ever seen since installing this can a couple years ago. It came out as a very very light trickle. I walked away for about 45 min to find this!!

View attachment 363068
Is this 'can' an aftermarket oil catch thing you have installed?

I am not aware of any such thing on my '07 Yukon

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this 'can' an aftermarket oil catch thing you have installed?

I am not aware of any such thing on my '07 Yukon
Yes. Aftermarket. It is put in-line between the valve cover and the intake manifold to capture any oil/vapor that may otherwise get sucked into the intake, which can muck things up.

OP
OP
T

trailblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a big can; that’s a 16oz coffee cup in the photo. I should have this dump into a 2L bottle. I recently installed a UPR kit in my 15’ Yukon and that comes with a tiny jar. Hopefully the ‘15 vintage 5.3 has the provisions to not allow such a ridiculous build up of moisture and oil.

OP
OP
T

trailblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be nice if these vendors sold something that has an automatic water-oil separator so the water can leach out leaving the oil behind. Maybe I’m asking too much here.