Catch can fills up quickly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
113k miles. Removing the oil fill cap during idle shows no excessive crankcase pressure. Normal idle rpm.the PCV is integrated into the valley cover, no idea how to check if it’s stuck open on these

The PCV valve is not integrated into the valley cover, please see attached diagram. Please change it out and report back.

20201031_014244.jpg

Last edited:

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
You can also add a fuel filter after the pcv valve an see how much oil it collects on it. I added one on my 6.0 and you will be amazed how much oil still goes thru the catch can.

20201031_193801.jpg

Abuilyas

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mostly it is the valve cover that comes on it, the one you buy (OEM) comes with the lip rather than a hole and it makes huge difference with the oil loss if I may say.

5D684A7D-431B-4919-9766-911385DAB9BC.jpeg

ReedR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I definitely have it hooked up correctly. I’m starting to think it’s normal with all the oil burning complaints on the Gen V’s.
Since you have disabled
I have a 2015 Yukon, 5.3, I installed a catch can and it fills up rather quick, about 1oz every 100 miles, that’s a lot of oil it would just burn if I didn’t have this installed. It that normal for these? The oil in it smells and looks just like that, oil, no hint of other contamination like water vapor. I’ve just been pouring it back into the oil. I will mention I have DoD turned OFF in my tune.
Since the DoD is turned off it's possible that the high
I have a 2015 Yukon, 5.3, I installed a catch can and it fills up rather quick, about 1oz every 100 miles, that’s a lot of oil it would just burn if I didn’t have this installed. It that normal for these? The oil in it smells and looks just like that, oil, no hint of other contamination like water vapor. I’ve just been pouring it back into the oil. I will mention I have DoD turned OFF in my tune.
Since you have disabled DoD it's possible that the high volume oil pump is to much and is pushing the extra oil into the valve cover continuously and out the pcv valve. Specially since the oil is clean.

Tiredmechanic23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you have disabled

Since the DoD is turned off it's possible that the high

Since you have disabled DoD it's possible that the high volume oil pump is to much and is pushing the extra oil into the valve cover continuously and out the pcv valve. Specially since the oil is clean.

PCV valve is not in the valve cover on these engines. It is under the bottom corner of the throttle body. The 2 valve cover hookups are just breathers. They do not connect to a catch can. Though you could connect a clean side separator to them.

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
post a picture of how u have it set up. since it's been said the pcv isn't a part of the valve cover then you most likely have it wrong

OP
OP
D

Donnyd21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New PCV installed, 225 miles later still getting quite a bit in the can:

4C7E4F64-3352-41AB-89A9-A48FAC711E37.jpeg