Car wash ripped my center tail light off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fjs0001

Reaction score
A local car wash ripped my center tail light off the rear tailgate. The guy working there went inside the washer and found it for me. I have a monthly subscription with them. I filled out an accident report and the guy working said that his boss would contact me. They haven't replied or returned my phone calls for almost a month. The only people working there are high schoolers or older burnouts and no one is ever in the office. Today I went to their other location which is busier and has more onsite staff. A guy there texted my issue to his local manager.

I don't think yelling at high schoolers is going to get me anywhere. Any advise?

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stand on the sidewalk with a poster stating the problem? Take out an ad in the newspaper, asking for the missing manager? If it is a chain, contact their corporate office. Send them a certified letter of an estimate to repair the damages. Give them x days to respond, then fix it yourself and take them to small claims court.

Did you have anything in mind?

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it broken and unusable?

Bring an estimate of repair/replace cost and ask if they would be willing to give you free unlimited washes equal to the amount it would cost to repair...
They could do that easy enough. No paperwork and no lawyers.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you do ask them for recompense, a strategy that has helped me -- in the past -- is demand a few things, with the thought in mind of what you need to walk away. That way they can feel like they bargained you down. I did this one time, and they gave me everything on my list... Then I felt like I didn't ask for enough... :cool:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just go kick one of the teens in the balls and then wait for the boss to show up?
or go park in the entrance and shut the vehicle off and wait?
probably a variety of ways to get the boss to come around.
some legal, some not
surely one of the employees has a number to call when there is a problem that requires immediate attention, besides 911
the squeaky wheel gets the grease....

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A local car wash ripped my center tail light off the rear tailgate. The guy working there went inside the washer and found it for me. I have a monthly subscription with them. I filled out an accident report and the guy working said that his boss would contact me. They haven't replied or returned my phone calls for almost a month. The only people working there are high schoolers or older burnouts and no one is ever in the office. Today I went to their other location which is busier and has more onsite staff. A guy there texted my issue to his local manager.

I don't think yelling at high schoolers is going to get me anywhere. Any advise?

Fix the car yourself and send them the bill. When they fail to pay, start telling your story on google, yelp, facebook, etc.

m1949

LS364/450
Reaction score
Sorry for the damage and your frustration. Yours is the second time I've recently heard of carwash machines damaging the 3rd brake light on a Gen 2 Escalade. Seems like this may be a too common occurrence. Anyone else have this happen? I'm thinking I'll be hand washing my Escalade going forward.

DirtDigler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hate to be the devil's advocate but How does the carwash know if the thing wasn't already loose ,wasn't up to the carwash Challenge and you're trying to make them pay for it? That's probably their stance. Unfortunately all you can do is get it fixed and hope they meet you half way.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hate to be the devil's advocate but How does the carwash know if the thing wasn't already loose ,wasn't up to the carwash Challenge and you're trying to make them pay for it? That's probably their stance. Unfortunately all you can do is get it fixed and hope they meet you half way.
You have a good point there.
As previously mentioned... I think the best bet is to ask for reimbursement, then see if they might give free washes. It is not really cash they have to account for in the books as an expense and involves no legalities, but it is money the OP doesn't have to spend out of pocket on the additional car washes. They hand out free car wash coupons like candy anyways. That might be the best win-win option.

OP
OP
Fjs0001

Fjs0001

Reaction score
Is it broken and unusable?

Bring an estimate of repair/replace cost and ask if they would be willing to give you free unlimited washes equal to the amount it would cost to repair...
They could do that easy enough. No paperwork and no lawyers.
I might be able to glue it back together.20220601_124538.jpg
Fix the car yourself and send them the bill. When they fail to pay, start telling your story on google, yelp, facebook, etc.
This is what I was planning on doing next. I tried to fill out a report on their website and wouldn't you know it, the website errors out. I called the national number and she said that she'd contact the district manager.
I get what you're saying. It's possible that the 17 year old plastic just gave up caused by the down force of the washer. It would still be nice if they at least tried to contact me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkavros

Latest posts