Can’t Fill Gas Tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gunslinger

Reaction score
2010 Escalade. Only able to get about a tenth of a gallon in at at time. Must wait for fill neck to drain about 10 seconds and go again.

I completely removed the large charcoal canister. The vent tube coming from the tank is completely free. I went to the gas station and had the same issue. Can I correctly assume the issue is not the canister or the evap solenoid? What more could it be?

I don’t know what obstruction could actually be in the fill neck. Im not sure if there is a secondary vent somewhere that could be clogged. I thought the vent going to the canister was the only one. Also the solenoid line appears to only be connected to the charcoal canister so I’m thinking it should be out of play as well.

Also the charcoal blew out everywhere when I blew air threw it. Hundreds of pellets. I read elsewhere this is not normal. Should I get a new canister anyway?

Help is appreciated, thank you.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At this point, you are in need of a new canister. You also need to drop the tank and blow out all the lines. Then probably put in a new GM purge solenoid under the hood by the intake. These can be a wreck, best to just start fresh

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Gonna say the same thing I always say about this problem.

1. There is a BUNCH of threads to search thru about this.

2. In most of these threads I see people try to replace on or two parts and still fight it all. Especially since you have pellets everywhere, I would just do a complete system overhaul. In many threads the OP ends up, after numerous attempts, replacing everything and then there are many miles of no problems.

OP
OP
gunslinger

gunslinger

Reaction score
Was hoping dropping the tank wouldn’t be the solution. It is what it is. I ordered the purge solenoid, vent hose & solenoid, and charcoal canister. All GM parts. I’ll outsource a shop to replace the parts and blow the lines.

Hoping to avoid replacing the fuel pump, but I am worried about charcoal being in the tank at this point.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not to add more money to the job but what's the mileage? it might be about time to do a fuel pump anyways, just to save the labor of dropping the tank twice.

bill1013

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace the pump while the tank is down.
Replace the pump now and you’ll save yourself time and money down the road.

I had a gauge problem on my 99 Tahoe LT. My mechanic pulled the tank and said the internals were good. I told him to change everything an start new. Pulling the tank is a pain and it’s time consuming. He assured me it would be fine. Fast forward a month later and the pump in the tank goes. I told you so. Long story short… he pulled it and replaced everything at his cost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts