C1500 Brake help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alex s

Reaction score
I have been working on my 92 C1500 lately and I'm having an issue with the brake pedal being way too soft. The truck will stop, but the pedal has way too much travel. I have replaced both rear wheel cylinders, rear shoes, both front calipers, front pads, master cylinder, and I have bled the brakes all the way around TWICE now. I have also removed the little "abs" block that is near the MC. I am at a loss on what to do now, this is getting very discouraging. Any ideas?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been working on my 92 C1500 lately and I'm having an issue with the brake pedal being way too soft. The truck will stop, but the pedal has way too much travel. I have replaced both rear wheel cylinders, rear shoes, both front calipers, front pads, master cylinder, and I have bled the brakes all the way around TWICE now. I have also removed the little "abs" block that is near the MC. I am at a loss on what to do now, this is getting very discouraging. Any ideas?

@96-2D-Hoe went through some issues with brakes recently if I remember correctly. Might check out his posts on the matter.

Bandit-66

Reaction score
have you correctly bled the main brake cylinder before?

how did you bleed the brakes, pump them with the pedal or with negative pressure?

when bleeding the brakes with the pedal, the pedal should be pressed carefully and not pressed completely, as this can lead to a defect of the brake boots in the master cylinder.

OP
OP
alex s

alex s

Reaction score
have you correctly bled the main brake cylinder before?

how did you bleed the brakes, pump them with the pedal or with negative pressure?

when bleeding the brakes with the pedal, the pedal should be pressed carefully and not pressed completely, as this can lead to a defect of the brake boots in the master cylinder.

Yes I bench bled the master cylinder before installing.

The brakes were bled by me pushing the pedal, while a clear hose was on the bleeder, that hose was going into a bottle full of brake fluid. One wheel at a time.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Are the rear brakes adjusted up properly? State here how you adjusted them. As @Bandit-66 asked, how did you bleed the brakes? If you had a person pumping them it should be done slowly and never let the pedal reach the floor when you open the bleeder. I always used a 2x4 on the floor to keep from bottoming out the pedal. If the pedal did go to floor then you may have damaged the master cylinder.

OP
OP
alex s

alex s

Reaction score
Are the rear brakes adjusted up properly? State here how you adjusted them. As @Bandit-66 asked, how did you bleed the brakes? If you had a person pumping them it should be done slowly and never let the pedal reach the floor when you open the bleeder. I always used a 2x4 on the floor to keep from bottoming out the pedal. If the pedal did go to floor then you may have damaged the master cylinder.

Yes the rear brakes have been adjusted and i believe are as close as they can get.

I have never heard that if the pedal touches the floor it will damage the MC. If that is true then that could be the culprit? Hopefully not, as that would be the second MC i have put on. I was thinking this problem was due to the first one being faulty.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Could you please share how you did the brake shoe adjustment? I would also bet the m/c is bad if you pumped and bled to the floor. Did you also check that the caliper piston is moving properly and that has pushed out to where the pad is up against the rotor after releasing the pedal?

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the second MC i have put on
Only two MC's? I've changed, and screwed up, mine more than I'd like to mention. I had a couple bad ones too. Was using Duralast from AZone under warranty. Recently bought a Delco from RA, I don't think it's 100% and I've not damaged it.

Yes, if you press the pedal too far it will damage the MC. Some people put a 2x4 under the pedal to stop the travel.

You can also damage the MC from plunging it too deep when you bench bleed it. No deeper than 3/4" to be safe.

You can 'bleed' the ABS some without the Tech1 by setting it off. 25mph and brake ******* loose ground 2-3x then bleed the system again. If that helps, might try it again.

I'm also pretty sure the single man bleed is not efficient enough as I spent a ridiculous amount of time and fluid on it alone. Two man is the recommended procedure.

You also need a tool for the brake proportioning valve on your 92.
Screen Shot 2020-10-03 at 7.15.42 PM.png

PS
Should also mention the flexible brake lines that can cause a ****** pedal too. I've not changed mine out yet as they look in perfect condition, but I'm getting close to it. They are not expensive. Many people say that makes a big difference to their pedal feel.

Last edited:
OP
OP
alex s

alex s

Reaction score
Only two MC's? I've changed, and screwed up, mine more than I'd like to mention. I had a couple bad ones too. Was using Duralast from AZone under warranty. Recently bought a Delco from RA, I don't think it's 100% and I've not damaged it.

Yes, if you press the pedal too far it will damage the MC. Some people put a 2x4 under the pedal to stop the travel.

You can also damage the MC from plunging it too deep when you bench bleed it. No deeper than 3/4" to be safe.

You can 'bleed' the ABS some without the Tech1 by setting it off. 25mph and brake ******* loose ground 2-3x then bleed the system again. If that helps, might try it again.

I'm also pretty sure the single man bleed is not efficient enough as I spent a ridiculous amount of time and fluid on it alone. Two man is the recommended procedure.

You also need a tool for the brake proportioning valve on your 92.
View attachment 259232

PS
Should also mention the flexible brake lines that can cause a ****** pedal too. I've not changed mine out yet as they look in perfect condition, but I'm getting close to it. They are not expensive. Many people say that makes a big difference to their pedal feel.

What a mess. Maybe I will need to try another MC, as I don't know if it has been damaged now. The truck no longer has ABS, that has all been removed. I did do a 2 man bleed, with my helper holding the container with the hose in it, while controlling the bleeder as i pushed the pedal. Zero air bubbles at all 4 corners. As far as the rubber brake lines, they do look fine but I imagine new ones would help. From what I understand these trucks always had a ****** pedal, my dad's 98 does too, he complains about it often. My goal is just to get the truck to stop safely. The pedal will slow the truck to a stop, but the pedal keeps traveling slowly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts