Burken Boys’ and Girl’s Journey

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
wjburken

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The other night my daughter called me at work and said the Yukon had a bunch of smoke coming out from under the hood after her and my wife pulled into the driveway. Not knowing what it was and thinking the engine may catch on fire my wife called 911. The fire department showed up and determined it was a coolant leak spraying coolant on the engine, which is much better than a car fire. When my wife asked the one fireman, who I’ve known for years and he also works at the local NAPA store, what it was so she could tell me, he said “it’s a coolant leak by the heater core, Wade will know what it is.” My immediate thought was the plastic tees.

Well, I got home after all of this and found the plastic tee on the inlet hose had cracked, just as I suspected.

Fortunately, I had a set of replacement tees in my parts cabinet. I can’t remember when I bought them, but remembered that I had them got done reason.

Javier volunteered to swap them out so I let him. It’s pretty cool knowing my kids are able to do things like this. He had it all taken care of in no time.7123A72C-8470-4398-8CDB-6E4829DF2921.jpegAD05D9CF-9503-46E8-84D4-B22E52813E15.jpeg

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The other night my daughter called me at work and said the Yukon had a bunch of smoke coming out from under the hood after her and my wife pulled into the driveway. Not knowing what it was and thinking the engine may catch on fire my wife called 911. The fire department showed up and determined it was a coolant leak spraying coolant on the engine, which is much better than a car fire. When my wife asked the one fireman, who I’ve known for years and he also works at the local NAPA store, what it was so she could tell me, he said “it’s a coolant leak by the heater core, Wade will know what it is.” My immediate thought was the plastic tees.

Well, I got home after all of this and found the plastic tee on the inlet hose had cracked, just as I suspected.

Fortunately, I had a set of replacement tees in my parts cabinet. I can’t remember when I bought them, but remembered that I had them got done reason.

Javier volunteered to swap them out so I let him. It’s pretty cool knowing my kids are able to do things like this. He had it all taken care of in no time.View attachment 420360View attachment 420359
Yes, for sure, it is a very significant 'right of passage' time for a parent, when your children can take over wrenching (and other) tasks that only you cold do in the past.

Fortunately (like I was), your issue occurred relatively close to home, and in your case, it was just a crack (mine blew apart).

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At least they were in a parking lot and not the middle of the road when it went. And fortunately that T is at the top of the engine. No need to drain to replace. But, they aren't fun to remove. When mine went it split wide open and pumped coolant all over the place. I didn't have anything to block it off, and I wasn't far from home so I had mine towed home.

We had our own story tonight, but not so dramatic as yours, and it involves our Explorer. (The 2006-10 were good years except for coolant hoses).

OP
OP
wjburken

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A month ago, while going around clearing snow, Joseph called and said his trucks hitch had dropped a little bit while pulling his trailer.

Turns out the hitch and the rear bumper had rusted through and could no longer safely pull a trailer. He was able to come home and borrow Javier’s truck to finish the day out and then used my truck the next day.

I purchased a new hitch for the truck and Javier had just pulled a bumper off of a similar truck at his work that Joseph could have.

Today he is in the process of removing the old hitch and bumper to put the new ones on.

Those of you in the northern road salt states can appreciate the amount of rust involved when working on a 20 yr old Iowa truck.

C251ECA1-5782-44E9-8063-6142EC12E5FF.jpegCDB57372-7AA8-49B3-B0D2-6E1A965532B3.jpegF6208A1F-67C8-49DB-B1E0-39D02E7ACB76.jpegA20EEF17-8C93-4F1D-AD1E-45112A7C091A.jpegADB754A2-209F-448A-B4C4-B2DC327B8A65.jpeg

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I thought you were joking there for a minute, Wade. I was wondering about what you meant by "a 20 yr old Iowa truck." I didn't think any survived that long (that would run, anyway). ;)

So the new hitch mounts differently than the OE one did, it looks like.

OP
OP
wjburken

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought you were joking there for a minute, Wade. I was wondering about what you meant by "a 20 yr old Iowa truck." I didn't think any survived that long (that would run, anyway). ;)

So the new hitch mounts differently than the OE one did, it looks like.
Yeah-20 years worth of rust there.

The new hitch bolts up to the frame, which is solid, using the same holes as the OEM hitch. It just doesn’t bolt up to the step bumper like the OEM hitch.

The hitch failed at the cross tube and then pulled the brace in the step bumper down with it. The side plates that attached to the frame were solid.

Edit: what is not shown in the photo are the new side plates that the section of the new hitch that is showing bolts up to.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A month ago, while going around clearing snow, Joseph called and said his trucks hitch had dropped a little bit while pulling his trailer.

Turns out the hitch and the rear bumper had rusted through and could no longer safely pull a trailer. He was able to come home and borrow Javier’s truck to finish the day out and then used my truck the next day.

I purchased a new hitch for the truck and Javier had just pulled a bumper off of a similar truck at his work that Joseph could have.

Today he is in the process of removing the old hitch and bumper to put the new ones on.

Those of you in the northern road salt states can appreciate the amount of rust involved when working on a 20 yr old Iowa truck.

View attachment 421295View attachment 421296View attachment 421297View attachment 421298View attachment 421299

IMG_6905.jpeg