Broken Lower Control Arm Mount

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AWOLASAP

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a lift and steering stabilizer installed. Needless to say, I was a little too careless on some trails going too fast and found that I broke part of my driver-side lower control arm front mount, the piece the steering stabilizer was installed on. I was wondering if anyone has had this happen to them and what they did to fix it.

I was thinking of just rewelding the broken-off piece, however, a welder told me I would end up heat-treating the rest of the mount and weakening it. I can't seem to find an aftermarket part, so should I just hit the junkyard and cut a whole one off another frame and replace my broken one?

Thanks in advance for any advice.Broken Lower Control Arm Mount.jpgBroken Lower Control Arm Mount 2.jpg

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I used to have a serious off road vehicle and it was a 73 Blazer and all one ton drivetrain and I had a ram steering assist and gusseted all over for strength. I would weld that back on there or do a custom design one and weld it to the frame piece.

If you lift your vehicle it puts more stress on some components that are not designed for it. Steering, suspension and frame, even if it is an asphalt queen and never sees dirt.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
junk

is that how the forward mount for the control arms are on 2000-2006? not sure if i never noticed or what but i cant seem to picture them like that
there all like that in the front, it's soft metal you can bend it with a wrench, my 00 had a 6" section cut out and welded back in, why I don't know I wasn't the original owner
figured maybe since you had modded yours so much you might have some input

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a lift and steering stabilizer installed. Needless to say, I was a little too careless on some trails going too fast and found that I broke part of my driver-side lower control arm front mount, the piece the steering stabilizer was installed on. I was wondering if anyone has had this happen to them and what they did to fix it.

I was thinking of just rewelding the broken-off piece, however, a welder told me I would end up heat-treating the rest of the mount and weakening it. I can't seem to find an aftermarket part, so should I just hit the junkyard and cut a whole one off another frame and replace my broken one?

Thanks in advance for any advice.View attachment 401754View attachment 401755

It's not heat treated/hardened or anything like that. It's actually good steel and welds easily. As pointed out, and as you found out, it's just adequate for a stock setup.

Remove the stabilizer from the broken piece and weld it back in place. Add plating.

If it were mine, I'd box in that whole lower half to tie both sides together. Picture a piece of flat stock, positioned vertically and trimmed to fit inside those radiused edges, spanning the control arm bolt holes. Then, a piece of flat positioned horizontally, on the bottom, welded to the top side of the gussets (after you weld that broken one back on). I don't know the dimensions of the factory stuff, but you might be able to trim down a piece of 2x4 box tubing or 2x4 angle. I'd use 11 gauge.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea the stabilizer is what broke the mount, guessing it was putting force up and down on that tab that wasnt reinforced for that. i say weld it back on also, box in atleast the angles to the crossmember. if you absolutely have to have the stabilizer on there, i would add some sleeves between the mounting tabs and bolt it all the way thru both
Broken Lower Control Arm Mount1.jpg

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score

Thanks in advance for any advice.View attachment 401754View attachment 401755
Just weld it back on there then weld a 1” plate on both sides to Brace it up some more maybe even add a couple gussets to Brace it even more and you’ll be good to go

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660