Bought a '03 Tahoe LT with 235k miles for $2k, time to fix it up!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kaz26

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm new here. This is actually my first post. I bought a 2003 Tahoe LT 4dr listed for $2,000, but it has some issues that need to be addressed. I'm going to list the things I know to be wrong with it, talk about what I do to fix it and post images along the way. I have experience working on cars, but this is my first Tahoe. I'm sure I will have some questions for the experts here along the way.

The first thing I noticed as I looked around the body of the car are some dents, and a pushed in front bumper, but nothing too terrible. The front bumper will probably be the most challenging for me to repair, as far as body damage is concerned.

Oil Leaks
Looking under the car I noticed alot of oil. It is actually dripping quite a bit. It looks like the oil pan gasket definitely needs to be replaced, but possibly (hopefully not) the rear main as well. The suspension looks worn, but again, nothing that looks completely destroyed.

On the top of the engine I can see oil seeping from around the valve covers, with some oil build up. This truck doesn't look like it was well maintained and the oil on the dipstick is black. The date on the oil filter is from August 2020, so hopefully it hasn't been driven too much on such dirty oil. Aside from the seepage around the valve covers, everything else looks decent for the amount of miles on it.

The first drive
The first thing I noticed when I started the car was the money light, but the engine fired up quick and ran smooth and quiet. Aside from that, the transmission shifts hard between gears, and there is a clunky feeling in the front. It was noticeable when braking and turning. In addition to that, the AC doesn't blow cold.

The trouble code is P0466 which is related to the evap system. More on that later.

When I lifted the car, the drivers side wheel was wobbly, which indicates to me that the wheel bearing is bad. The break pads have about 50% wear on them, and nothing else looked terrible.

I will do another inspection soon and post some pics as well.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm new here. This is actually my first post. I bought a 2003 Tahoe LT 4dr listed for $2,000, but it has some issues that need to be addressed. I'm going to list the things I know to be wrong with it, talk about what I do to fix it and post images along the way. I have experience working on cars, but this is my first Tahoe. I'm sure I will have some questions for the experts here along the way.

The first thing I noticed as I looked around the body of the car are some dents, and a pushed in front bumper, but nothing too terrible. The front bumper will probably be the most challenging for me to repair, as far as body damage is concerned.

Oil Leaks
Looking under the car I noticed alot of oil. It is actually dripping quite a bit. It looks like the oil pan gasket definitely needs to be replaced, but possibly (hopefully not) the rear main as well. The suspension looks worn, but again, nothing that looks completely destroyed.

On the top of the engine I can see oil seeping from around the valve covers, with some oil build up. This truck doesn't look like it was well maintained and the oil on the dipstick is black. The date on the oil filter is from August 2020, so hopefully it hasn't been driven too much on such dirty oil. Aside from the seepage around the valve covers, everything else looks decent for the amount of miles on it.

The first drive
The first thing I noticed when I started the car was the money light, but the engine fired up quick and ran smooth and quiet. Aside from that, the transmission shifts hard between gears, and there is a clunky feeling in the front. It was noticeable when braking and turning. In addition to that, the AC doesn't blow cold.

The trouble code is P0466 which is related to the evap system. More on that later.

When I lifted the car, the drivers side wheel was wobbly, which indicates to me that the wheel bearing is bad. The break pads have about 50% wear on them, and nothing else looked terrible.

Welcome!

You're in a good place for help and advice. You also have an easy vehicle to work on. Lets see how far we can take it.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score

Oil Leaks

The first drive

Hopefully it wasn't this bad

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

houstontaylor

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Tahoe with 311,000 miles. Am the original owner and have kept it up. Parts are still generally available since it is American and a popular vehicle. Replaced the engine at 290,000 miles due to a sudden increase in oil consumption but it was still passing the environmental tests in Houston, Texas up to that point. Replaced the transmission at about 310,000 miles but had it repaired once a while back. The dealers probably wish I would just buy a new Tahoe but mine runs great. Congratulations on your purchase.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2003 Tahoe with 311,000 miles. Am the original owner and have kept it up. Parts are still generally available since it is American and a popular vehicle. Replaced the engine at 290,000 miles due to a sudden increase in oil consumption but it was still passing the environmental tests in Houston, Texas up to that point. Replaced the transmission at about 310,000 miles but had it repaired once a while back. The dealers probably wish I would just buy a new Tahoe but mine runs great. Congratulations on your purchase.
When you say replaced? Did you have new engine trans installed?

OP
OP
K

Kaz26

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for being so welcoming! This seems like a great community and I think I found the right place!
I haven't had much time to do much work on it yet, but started with the oil leaks. The oil pressure was also very high, but I'm thinking that was from a VERY dirty oil filter. I'm going to post some pics of the car starting with the outside, then the engine bay before I started cleaning out the debris, then the oil covered oil pan, followed by a pic with the oil pan off showing the grimy windage tray. I initially though it might have a leak from the rear main, but seeing how clean the fly wheel is, I'm not so sure about that now.

Tahoe left rear.jpg

IMG_0420.JPG

IMG_0813.JPG

IMG_0851.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA