Bought a '03 Tahoe LT with 235k miles for $2k, time to fix it up!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
K

Kaz26

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Aside form seepage from the valve covers, it's pretty dry above the oil pan. I'm hoping this resolves the leak. There was a ton of cleaning so I haven't installed the oil pan yet, but I plan to do that today. I'm really hoping this was the only source of oil leaks. I will post more pics after I get the oil pan back on.

The next items on the list include:
- Wheel bearing assemblies, brake pads, and rotors
- A/C belt replacement and add refrigerant with UV dye
- Evap system diagnose and repair
- Valve cover gaskets
- Replace oil pressure sensor, as well as air intake manifold gaskets and possibly knock sensors while I'm in there.

There will surely be other things to do, but those are the next items on the to-do list.

Jimmyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a couple of different front brake upgrades you can do. There is a 2 piston and a 4 piston upgrade. Lots of info on each here.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on your new-to-you purchase! We just picked up a 2005 Suburban, white like your Tahoe, with 165k on it for $2k. IKt isn't leaking any fluids (yet!), and everything is clean. However, the transmission is down -- it was purchased that way. I am waiting on a scan tool to see if I can resurrect it, or if it needs a full rebuild. Good luck with yours -- we are pretty excited about ours!

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am betting on the oil pressure sending unit being the main culprit on your leak. I am betting that replacing the sending unit has solved your leak and your unusually high oil pressure readings on the cluster.

Have a Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday season!

Last edited:

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you think to make sure your Flex Plate Bolts were tight? Mine were loose with no factory thread locker. Went to my local Chevrolet Service Department and talked with a tech who told me they have seen these bolts loosen up.

Last edited:

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing the inside of the oil pan is a sludge pit. Just had my pan off last week and my Converter is dry as well but I have a rear main leak big time. When you remove that tray you will see a drip of oil on the bottom of the Rear Main Seal Plate and take a rag or paper towel and shove it under the flex plate and pull it out and it will be full of oil from your Main Seal leak. Your oil covered starter, oil pan and cross members are not covered in oil because of a valve cover leak.

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You probably already know this, but just saying out loud, don't forget to replace the oil pickup tube o-ring, since you have the pan off... Thanks for sharing your pics and adventure.

OP
OP
K

Kaz26

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm guessing the inside of the oil pan is a sludge pit. Just had my pan off last week and my Converter is dry as well but I have a rear main leak big time. When you remove that tray you will see a drip of oil on the bottom of the Rear Main Seal Plate and take a rag or paper towel and shove it under the flex plate and pull it out and it will be full of oil from your Main Seal leak. Your oil covered starter, oil pan and cross members are not covered in oil because of a valve cover leak.
Ya, the valve covers weren’t leaking too bad, partly just seepage. It was dry between the valve covers and oil pan.

OP
OP
K

Kaz26

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You probably already know this, but just saying out loud, don't forget to replace the oil pickup tube o-ring, since you have the pan off... Thanks for sharing your pics and adventure.
Thank you, I did that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz