~ Booster, master, or? ~

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
nimrod.sixty9

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
I have to bring this thread back to life as Im still having issues of soft like peddle. Its been sitting a few days while I replaced the front end core support. I can tell the peddle firmness, or lack thereof, has changed.

I noticed that there seems to be some residue on the front of the master cyl.; starting from the bottom, I would guess, as it isnt all the way up. Maybe leaking from the bottom of the res? Ill try to get a pic of the NEW master.

Would worn shoes also cause excessive travel? I always thought it auto-adjusted. And no, I cannot adjust manually; my drums are different for some damned reason. The adjuster wheel is on top, which I think does absolutely nothing; by design.

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=556733&postcount=12

Last edited:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
you can adjust manually but it is cumbersome with out the drum/ shoe measuring tool to make it go faster. and if to much gap is there then it will have extra pedal travel. the auto adjusters will get stuck tho.

OP
OP
nimrod.sixty9

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
you can adjust manually but it is cumbersome with out the drum/ shoe measuring tool to make it go faster. and if to much gap is there then it will have extra pedal travel. the auto adjusters will get stuck tho.

Look at the other thread. Adjusting does nothing.

Are you saying the adjusters wont work properly if too much material is gone?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
that is a ten inch drum set. judging by the parts breakdown by gm that adjuster is automatic but only applies to the parking brake effectiveness. it has no bearing on service brakes. the 10 inch does not seem to adjust for service brake wear. if worn down replace them otherwise longer pedal travel or softness so to speak. the 11 inch drums adjust for service wear and, by design, parking brake as well.

OP
OP
nimrod.sixty9

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
that is a ten inch drum set. judging by the parts breakdown by gm that adjuster is automatic but only applies to the parking brake effectiveness. it has no bearing on service brakes. the 10 inch does not seem to adjust for service brake wear. if worn down replace them otherwise longer pedal travel or softness so to speak. the 11 inch drums adjust for service wear and, by design, parking brake as well.

Ha, I knew it did nothing. What a horrible design; wth would they even use this? :puke:

Im going to replace the shoes in hopes of getting less travel.

While Im there Ill clean the hell out of the parts and probably do another bleed.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
so the parking brake would always hold no matter what. you got 10" mainly because you are 2wd. so it does not last more then i few years, so what they are brake linings. clean and redo your linings but recheck your brakes afterwards before you keep using for brake fluid for bleeding. if you last bleed came out with clean fluid and you followed the order to do it in then look elsewhere if something is still wrong.

BigWheelinBubba

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds to me like the master has a bad seal and is leaking into the booster diaphragm.
I've seen this multiple times in the past and usually by the time you figure it out the brake fluid contaminates the rubber in the booster and you end up having to replace both.

OP
OP
nimrod.sixty9

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
Sounds to me like the master has a bad seal and is leaking into the booster diaphragm.
I've seen this multiple times in the past and usually by the time you figure it out the brake fluid contaminates the rubber in the booster and you end up having to replace both.

Master in new. Felt exactly the same after I replaced it.

It may have a slow leak; not 100% sure. May still replace it anyway. I just picked up the new shoes, so if they don't help, then ill go the route of replacing it again.

OP
OP
nimrod.sixty9

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
New shoes did nothing for pedal travel. Seems to stop a little better as the old shoes were horribly worn. Cleaned everything up real nice; ready to eat off of.

Looks like Ill try the master again and bleed the hell out of it.

Such a strange issue that nothing has changed it; starts braking right at 3/4 down, as usual.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xay2Smoove