~ Booster, master, or? ~

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
Just replaced the front calipers. The stopping is indeed much better, but the pedal is harder to push and slowly goes down to the floor; with effort. I have to push further/harder to get it to stop quicker. I've bled and bled and cannot see any air. I've had vehicles that had air in the lines and they were easy to push to the floor and did not stop well. I've also been in vehicles with a bad booster and those were like trying to crush a brick. This is hard to press and stops fairly well. In my experience with bad master cyls, they were able to pump up and fall to the floor. This holds in place unless I push harder and pumping does nothing. What am I missing here?

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Dont think theres a problem. When my booster went out it made a loud noise like a nos purge sound and would be hard as a rock to press and would slow a bit. Mines a lil soft but not too much. As long as it works good i woukdnt worry boit it. My silverado also has soft breaks

OP
OP
nimrod.sixty9

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
Dont think theres a problem. When my booster went out it made a loud noise like a nos purge sound and would be hard as a rock to press and would slow a bit. Mines a lil soft but not too much. As long as it works good i woukdnt worry boit it. My silverado also has soft breaks

Unfortunately, something is surely wrong. I mean you really have to get into the pedal to get it to stop; does when you do though. Due to the stiffness, Im leaning towards a failing booster. Or maybe its stiff because master is bad and the booster is working very well. ****, Im only confusing myself now; this is starting to get aggravating. :Insane:

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Well take off the hose that goes to the booster and try braking thats a vaccume for the booster then let us know what its doing

clownracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
often times when installing calipers or wheel cyl is that while you are bleeding your sucking all this crap right through the master cylinder and it blows the seals.....if your bleeding and bleeding and theres no air in the lines but the brake pedal is stil going to flor check to make sure there are no leaks anywhere if not its probably your master

OP
OP
nimrod.sixty9

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
often times when installing calipers or wheel cyl is that while you are bleeding your sucking all this crap right through the master cylinder and it blows the seals.....if your bleeding and bleeding and theres no air in the lines but the brake pedal is stil going to flor check to make sure there are no leaks anywhere if not its probably your master

I vigorously looked for any leaks; none. I also want to note that the pressure is consistant. this is what shuns me away from the master. I think theres a couple of tests that can be done for the booster. If the booster passes, Im going to replace the master; even though the master passes.

Something I failed to ask before, when bleeding, if the lid is off the res, fluid will shoot our all over the place. I have never seen this before and dont think it to be normal. Is this a sign of bad master? Then again, it doesnt stop any better or quicker if I press the pedal fast. Damn...

Last edited:

clownracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I vigorously looked for any leaks; none. I also want to note that the pressure is consistant. this is what shuns me away from the master. I think theres a couple of tests that can be done for the booster. If the booster passes, Im going to replace the master; even though the master passes.

Something I failed to ask before, when bleeding, if the lid is off the res, fluid will shoot our all over the place. I have never seen this before and dont think it to be normal. Is this a sign of bad master? Then again, it doesnt stop any better or quicker if I press the pedal fast. Damn...

mine didnt do that

OP
OP
nimrod.sixty9

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
Can anyone do me a favor and test this.

See if the res squirts up fluid, with lid off, and when pressing pedal down?

Obviously have a rag covering just incase its the norm.

TIA

OP
OP
nimrod.sixty9

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
Ttt

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 PM ----------

Looking online, this looks to be normal. Damnit what am I to do..?

To describe the symtoms in an easier way, and youll see why Im confused:

1. Pedal goes to floor
2. Pedal is firm (fast or slow push)
3. Does not apply brakes until halfway down; in any meaningful amount
4. Brakes harder the harder the pedal is pressed
5. Brakes actually work very well
6. Pedal does not sink to floor without more pressure (not soft like air in lines, and does not fall on its own like a bad master)
7. Pedal does not gain height with pumping pedal
8. Truck can stop without pushing pedal to floor (just have to push harder to to stop faster)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman